The PSID database provides an industry history with obvious process safety benefits. It supplements a company's internal incident databases, improves hazard assessments, and facilitates due diligence activities. In addition, analysis of the database will benefit the following user groups:
- Executives: Allows them to focus attention on the types of incidents common to their chemical process and refinery businesses and the need to commit resources to prevent occurrence.
- Managers: Can determine types of facilities and unit operations which are experiencing losses and may require special preventive measures.
- Engineers: Identify primary types of process and equipment failures and highlight the need for specific design improvements.
- Operations: Identify specific operating causal factors and illustrate the need for improved operating practices and procedures.
- Maintenance: Can identify key equipment failure modes and consequences, emphasizing the need for improved maintenance practices.