Designed for chemical engineers and other technical personnel involved in the design, operation, and maintenance of facilities and equipment where deflagration and detonation flame arresters (DDFAs) may be required, this book fosters effective application and operation of DDFAs through treatment of their principles of operation, selection, installation, and maintenance methods. This reference covers a broad range of issues concerning DDAs, including:
- An overview of deflagration and detonation prevention and protection practices
- An overview of combustion and flame propagation and how DDAs halt propagation
- Deflagration and detonation flame arrester technology
- Installation in process systems
- Regulations, codes, and standards
- Illustrative examples, calculations, and guidelines for DDA selection
- Appendices, including a glossary, a flame arrester specification sheet for vendor quotation, and a listing of flame arrester manufacturers.