Excel VBA Programming for Chemical Engineers - Virtual
- Course ID:
- Type: Instructor-led Virtual Course
- Skill Level:
In this two-session course, participants are introduced to the Visual Basic for Applications programming language in conjunction with Microsoft Excel. The basic of VBA are introduced, including macros, user-defined functions, and add-ins. The course equips chemical engineers with the tools and skills to develop VBA applications that include spreadsheet-VBA communication, streamlining spreadsheet-based calculations, developing user interfaces, and communicating to other software packages, such as process simulators and math software. Typical chemical engineering examples are used throughout.
The course is organized in two, half-day sessions with hourly breaks during the sessions. Participants alternate watching the instructor’s screen while he demonstrates Excel VBA techniques and working with VBA on their own computer. There is ample opportunity for questions and interaction between the participants and the instructor. Participants are provided with a comprehensive notebook and a set of computer files.
Getting Started with VBA
- Configuring Excel for VBA programming
- The Visual Basic Editor environment
- Recording and editing macros
- Debugging in the Visual Basic Editor
- Programming user-defined functions (UDFs)
- Including programming structure in UDFs
- Borrowing Excel spreadsheet-based functions
- Developing array functions
- Packaging collections of functions in an Excel add-in
Delving into VBA Programming
- Communicating with the spreadsheet
- Object-oriented concepts
- Data types and scope
- VBA programming structures
- Modular organization of VBA programs
User Interfaces and VBA Applications
- Message boxes, input boxes and on-sheet buttons
- Programming event handlers
- Designing and creating userforms
- Integrating course concepts into an Excel VBA application
- Interfacing with outside programs
Mac users please note: A good portion of the course covers Excel VBA ‘userforms’ which are not currently functional in Excel for Macs. Please take the course on a PC.
Save $795 or more when you take both this course and CH764VTL: Spreadsheet Problem-Solving for Chemical Engineers by registering for CH768VTL Spreadsheet Problem Solving and VBA Programming Combo Course.
Dr. David Clough has taught applied statistics at the undergraduate and graduate levels to chemical engineering students for the past 20 years. At the graduate level, his students have included practicing professionals.
Dr. Clough recently retired after a 43-year career on the faculty of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Colorado’s Boulder Campus. He is still active in the Department in the Emeritus role, including the supervision of research in applied process control. He teaches several AIChE Academy courses, both in-person and eLearning...Read more
Teams (10 or more)
Minimize cost and maximize learning with Train-A-Team.Learn more
|AIChE Grad Student Members||$547.50|
|AIChE Undergrad Student Members||$547.50|