Bibliography - Building Process Safety Culture Tool Kit
Official Investigation Reports for Case Studies
- Columbia Accident Investigation Board, Report Volume 1, Government Printing Office, 2003. http://caib.nasa.gov/news/report/volume1/default.html
- UK Department of Energy, The Public Inquiry Into the Piper Alpha Disaster (2 vol), London: HMSO, ISBN 010113102, 1990.
- UK Health and Safety Executive, The Flixborough Disaster – Report of the Court of Inquiry, London: HMSO, ISBN 0113610750, 1975.
- Report of the Presidential Commission on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident (includes NASA report on the implementation of recommendations)
Additional Information on Case Studies
- Hopkins, Andrew, Lessons from Longford – The Esso Gas Plant Explosion, CCH Australia Limited, ISBN 1864684224, 2000.
- Return to Flight Task Group, Final Report of the Return to Flight Task Group (Including the minority report), 2005.
- Vaughan, Diane, The Challenger Launch Decision, University of Chicago Press, 1996.
Additional Information on Safety Culture, Organizational Effectiveness, and High Performing Systems
- Barraclough, Ian and Carnino, Annick, “Safety Culture – Keys for Sustaining Progress,” IEAE Bulletin, 40/2/1998.
- Carroll, John S. and Hatakenaka, Sachi, Driving Organizational Change in the Midst of Crisis, MIT Sloan Management Review, Spring 2001.
- CCPS, Guidelines for Risk-based Process Safety, in development.
- Frank, W. L., Essential Elements of a Sound Safety Culture, Process Plant Safety Symposium, AIChE Spring Meeting, Atlanta, GA, April 2005. Safety Culture
- International Nuclear Safety Advisory Group, , Safety Series No. 75, NSAG-4, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1991.
- Jones, David, Turning the Titanic – Three Case Histories in Cultural Change, CCPS. International Conference and Workshop, Toronto, 2001.
- Jones, D., Frank, W.L., and Hobbs, D., “What Are Process Safety Management Audits Telling Operators?”, Hydrocarbon Processing, October 2000.
- Jones, D. and Kadri, S., “Nurturing a Strong Process Safety Culture,” 20th Annual CCPS International Conference, AIChE Spring Meeting, Atlanta, GA, April 2005.
- O’Hara, Patrick W., “Nuclear Safety Culture: Competitiveness Through Safety,” January 10, 2000, http://nuclearsafetyculture.freeyellow.com/Nuclear.htm
- Petroski, Henry, To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design, Vintage, 1992.
- Reason, James, Managing the Risks of Organizational Accidents, Ashgate, 1997.
- Schein, Edgar H., Organizational Culture and Leadership, Third Edition, Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Tzu, Sun, The Art of War, circa 500 BC.
- UK Health and Safety Executive, Safety Culture: A Review of the Literature, HSL/2002/25, 2002.
- Weick, Karl E. and Sutcliffe, Kathleen M., Managing the Unexpected, Jossey-Bass, 2001.
- Yukl, Gary, Leadership in Organizations, Fifth Edition, Prentice Hall, 2002.