Operator Training Simulators - Nova Chemicals' Experience for Training, Certification, and Other Applications
- Type: Conference Presentation
- Conference Type: AIChE Spring Meeting and Global Congress on Process Safety
- Presentation Date: April 3, 2012
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Skill Level: Basic
- PDHs: 0.50
The Nova Chemicals Site located in Joffre, AB Canada has numerous gas-cracking olefins units as well as down-stream polyolefins processing plants. Nova has been utilizing Operator Training Simulators at this site for over 12 years as part of a comprehensive training and certification program for its control room operators. This paper reviews how the simulators have been used as part of this program. In addition, it describes other ways that the simulators have contributed to the overall benefit of the petrochemical complex. The topics to be discussed are:
- Current simulator models within Nova, history, and future development.
- Training structure of simulator training.
- Benefits of the simulator to the original startup of the E-3 Olefins unit.
- Flaring reductions during startups and shutdowns of the Ethylene plants.
- Development of trip applications for the Ethylene plants.
- Simulator use for development of Polyethylene (Sclair technology) startup advanced control.
- Additional simulator uses, including:
- Experimental Operations
- Testing of DCS software upgrades
- Development of advanced applications
- Graphics development.
Once the content has been viewed and you have attested to it, you will be able to download and print a certificate for PDH credits. If you have already viewed this content, please click here to login.
|AIChE Member Credits||0.5|
|AIChE Graduate Student Members||Free|
|AIChE Undergraduate Student Members||Free|