NFPA 30 (2020); Practical Viewpoints to Ensure Code Compliance
- Type: Conference Presentation
- Conference Type: AIChE Spring Meeting and Global Congress on Process Safety
- Presentation Date: August 18, 2020
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- PDHs: 0.40
Proper use and application of NFPA 30 is a key part of an effective Loss Control Engineering Program, which ensures:
- Proper selection and use of containers for storage of liquids
- Proper and effective fire protection for storage areas
- Safe practices for dispensing, transferring, handling and use of liquids.
- Safe practices for tank storage, piping systems, including bulk loading and unloading operations
This paper and presentation will overview the fundamental principles required to establish a basis of safety for proper handling and storage of liquids. Changes proposed for the 2020 edition of NFPA 30 will be highlighted, and their implications to flammable and combustible liquid safety practices reviewed, along with practical tips for the Process Safety Professional to effectively navigate the many older versions of NFPA 30 that are adopted into present regulatory requirements.
The educational objectives of this paper include:
- Learn to identify hazards associated flammable and combustible liquids.
- Be able to apply practical strategies for establishing a Basis of Safety for operations involving flammable and combustible liquids.
- Become aware of common and practical methods for safe storage and handling of flammable liquids.
- Understand how to navigate through Flammable Liquid Code Requirements presented by legacy and modern versions of NFPA 30.
- Identify and understand key changes made to the 2020 edition of NFPA 30.
|AIChE Member Credits||0.5|
|Employees of CCPS Member Companies||Free|
|AIChE Graduate Student Members||Free|
|AIChE Undergraduate Student Members||Free|