LOPA in Action: Making Sure Initiating Events (IEs) and Independent Protection Layers (IPLs) Are Included in Integrated Management Systems
- Type: Conference Presentation
- Conference Type: AIChE Spring Meeting and Global Congress on Process Safety
- Presentation Date: August 19, 2020
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- PDHs: 0.40
This paper focuses on ensuring that risk is effectively maintained by ensuring that each IE and each IPL are included within integrated management systems. Topics covered include:
- Extracting IEs and IPLs from PHAs for including in mechanical integrity, asset integrity, and operational discipline programs to ensure the reliability factors targeted for each is achieved in practice.
- Auditing techniques for checking if IEs and IPLs listed in PHAs are being maintained. The paper will share an auditing protocol that has proven valuable for this step.
- Measuring the IEF for IEs and PFDs for IPLs. This includes ensuring the effectiveness of human IPLs per the approach described in earlier papers on this topic; these approaches will be summarized here. (Another Abstract submitted to PPSS describes this Human IPL validation in more detail.)
- Case studies and examples will be shared for each step above. Some of these will be from the SABIC affiliate, UNITED
Once the content has been viewed and you have attested to it, you will be able to download and print a certificate for PDH credits. If you have already viewed this content, please click here to login.
|AIChE Member Credits||0.5|
|Employees of CCPS Member Companies||Free|
|AIChE Graduate Student Members||Free|
|AIChE Undergraduate Student Members||Free|