The North Jersey Local Section of the AIChE was founded on December 17, 1957 and represents chemical and biochemical engineering professionals residing or working in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, and Sussex counties in New Jersey, and Rockland County in New York.
The objectives of the Section are:
- The advancement of the profession of Chemical & Biochemical Engineering and the maintenance of high professional standards among its members;
- The formation of closer professional and personal relations among its members;
- The furtherance of the aims and purposes of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers;
- The promotion of cordial and helpful relations with the faculties and students of nearby institutions offering instruction in chemical engineering;
- Job search and/or placement support for unemployed or displaced Section members.
The Section supports AIChE Student Chapters at the New Jersey Institute of Technology and Stevens Institute of Technology, and presents scholarship awards annually to outstanding chemical engineering students of these two universities.
Student Support Examples:
- Awarded 9 scholarships to students from NJIT and Steven’s
- Section members served as speakers for student section meetings
The Section presents monthly dinner meetings and events throughout the year, covering various topics of interest to the membership. These events serve as forums for the members to network and obtain continuing education credits for various professional licensure requirements.
2019 Section activities included:
Awarded 8 PDHs of continuing education on topics such as:
- Single-use Technologies in Biomanufacturing
- Fusion Power
- Improving Your Energy Efficiency
- 10-step Process for Energy Analysis
- Development of Deep-sea Diving Systems
- Distillation Concepts in the Food industry
- Refinery Economics
FREE Young Professional Networking & Assistance:
- Effective Interviewing – How to succeed at a job interview
- Young Professionals Networking Happy Hour at Hub City Brewhouse in New Brunswick
Social / Family-oriented Events:
- Chair’s Picnic – A day at Turtle Back Zoo, West Orange
- Winemaking – A tour of Make Wine With Us wine school in Wallington (with a souvenir bottle)
- Mead making Holiday Party – A tour and tasting at Melovino Craft Meadery in Union
As a volunteer-based professional organization, the North Jersey Section AIChE relies solely on membership dues and industry support to be able to offer the important programs and services described above.