2021 AIChE K-12 STEM Outreach Competition
The 2021 AIChE K–12 STEM Outreach Competition will take place Sunday, November 14, 2021 and Monday, November 15, 2021. We’re excited to announce that this year’s competition will be held virtually for increased participation of K-12 students, parents, and educators.
The AIChE K–12 STEM Outreach Competition is presented by the AIChE K-12 Committee and Executive Student Committee and is generously supported by the AIChE Foundation. Through the AIChE K-12 STEM Outreach Competition, AIChE seeks to:
- Connect members of the AIChE & K-12 communities
- Increase the AIChE community’s engagement in K-12 STEM Outreach
- Build & grow a central repository of educational resources for use in K-12 STEM Outreach initiatives
Open eyes to the wonders of STEM and inspire your peers when you showcase your interactive STEM modules to 100+ elementary, middle, and high school students, their parents and educators, and members of the AIChE community.
Modules can take the form of discussions, demonstrations, or experiments, and can address any concept within the range of STEM, but will ideally connect to concepts or applications within chemical engineering. Each module will have both an experiential component and a written component.
Eligible AIChE members are encouraged to submit an entry for an opportunity to share their K-12 STEM module during the AIChE K-12 STEM Outreach Competition.
What's New in 2021?
To our returning competitors, welcome back! Here is a quick overview of some important adjustments to the competition from previous years. Please be sure to reference the latest versions of all competition documentation, linked below, for full instructions and all requirements.
- The 2021 AIChE K-12 STEM Outreach Competition & Showcase will take place over 2 days, Sunday, November 14, 2021 and Monday, November 15, 2021. Exact schedules will be determined at a later date. New questions have been added to the entry form to allow submitters to specify availability and preference for dates – we ask that entrants please be as flexible as possible.
- Prospective competitors are now required to submit video demonstrations of their module at the time of their entry into the competition.
- Prospective competitors must now submit a completed Institute Policies Attestation Form at the time of entry.
- Prospective competitors may submit a maximum of one competition entry per target audience, for a maximum of four total submissions from any competing entity.
- Entrants must now be active members of the AIChE K-12 Community in addition to being active members of AIChE.
Modules will be assessed by volunteer judges on 10 criteria:
EXECUTIVE STUDENT COMMITTEE AWARDS
for undergraduate student-submitted modules accepted for presentation and participation in the competition
K-12 COMMITTEE AWARDS
for non- undergraduate student submitted modules accepted for presentation and participation in the competition:
|Deadline||September 1, 2021|
|Administrators||Executive Student Committee (ESC), Societal Impact Operating Council (SIOC)|
|Presentation||Awards will be presented at the conclusion of the event. Award winning modules will be included in a central repository of educational resources for use in K-12 STEM Outreach initiatives.|
|Nomination Instructions|| |
Interested participants must review and fulfill all eligibility criteria, requirements for modules, and all entry requirements in their entirety by the specified deadline in order to be considered for participation in the competition.
Please be advised that due to space and time limitations, we will not be able to accept all submitted modules for participation in the competition.
Competitors may submit a maximum of one competition entry per target audience, for a maximum of four total submissions from any competing entity.
Requirements, Forms, & Documents
Deadline for Entry
September 1st, 11:59 PM ET
Timeline for Notification
Primary contacts associated with submissions accepted for presentation will be notified of acceptance in mid-September (Target: September 15th)
Ready to submit your module?
Step 1: Submit an ENTRY FORM
Step 2: Submit a VIDEO (submission info coming soon)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any related questions.
|Sponsors||All for Good Campaign|