Annual Student Conference 2014 Competition
- Regional qualifiers who know they will NOT be competing at the Annual Student Conference Competition, must let the ChE Car Organizing Committee (email@example.com) know by 1 May 2014, so the committee may let the waiting list teams know in a timely manner.
- Teams who participated in their own AIChE regional (or in an AIChE approved alternative regional) Chem-E-Car™ Competition but did not qualify are eligible to submit an application for any open slot beginning on 28 April 2014. This open application period ends on 10 May 2014. Application link: http://interact.sdsmt.edu/aiche/register.htm.
As part of AIChE's commitment to safety in industry and laboratory environments, student teams and their advisors will be asked to demonstrate a commitment to safety awareness, safety planning, and safe practices as a standard component of their participation. All teams are required to carefully read and review Chem-E-Car documents to fully understand the requirements to safely compete at an AIChE Chem-E-Car competition.
New Rules 2014
Addendum to the Safety Rules regarding Gas Discharge
As an exception to the 'no gas discharge' rule, small amount of hydrogen discharge are allowed. A 'small amount' is considered a gas discharge below the LFL of hydrogen for the given volume of the reactor, chamber or fuel cell in which hydrogen is stored.
The following changes were incorporated in the new rules:
- No detached syringes at the starting line
- Clarification on gas discharge rules
- Specifications and standards for student fittings to be used on hydrogen gas connections
- Clarification on illegal chemical storage in hotel rooms / dorms to exempt household chemicals (salt, baking soda, etc.)
- Clarification on no smoke discharge rule for ICE's
- New noise restriction
- New requirement to fill out the Safety Rules Verification Form and submit along with EDP
Note: Be sure to complete the Chem-E-Car Safety Training and Test before your Regional Conference. Participants must complete the safety tests within the year that the competition takes place, i.e. those competing in the 2014 Regional Conference competitions must complete the test in 2014.
Chem-E-Car Safety Test Results - The list of eligible participants as of April 10, 2014.
EDP Example Package (from 2012, new 2014 rules not reflected)
A completed Engineering Documentation Package MUST be completed for each Regional Conference on the date listed below.
2014 Student Regional Conference Host
|Northeast||University of Connecticut||March 7, 2014|
|Mid-America||University of Iowa||March 14, 2014|
University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus
|February 21, 2014|
|Southwest||Texas A&M University||February 21, 2014|
|Mid-Atlantic||University of Virginia||February 28, 2014|
|Rocky Mountain||University of Utah||February 28, 2014|
|North Central||Michigan State University||March 14, 2014|
|Western||University of California, Davis||March 21, 2014|
|Pacific Northwest||Washington State University||March 21, 2014|
A photograph showing your COMPLETELY assembled car must be in the EDP. Your EDP must be a single PDF. Please merge all of the documents into a single PDF for ease in reviewing.
EDP’s will be uploaded to AIChE’s Box.com page, SharePoint will NO LONGER be used. You must be invited to Box.com to upload your teams EDP. To receive access to Box.com and instructions you must contact Michelle Marsnick at firstname.lastname@example.org.