2016 Regional Chem-E-Car Competition®
As part of AIChE's commitment to safety in industry and laboratory environments, student teams and their advisors will be asked to demonstrate a commitment to safety awareness, safety planning, and safe practices as a standard component of their participation. All teams are required to carefully read and review all Chem-E-Car Competition documents to fully understand the requirements to safely compete at an AIChE Chem-E-Car Competition
New Rules 2016
1. Please make note of the following rule change for 2016: Beginning in 2016, all hydrogen used on the vehicles (for instance with fuel cells) must be generated on-site or on the vehicle keeping the pressure below 5 psig (0.345 bar). Filling of vessels from a compressed hydrogen gas cylinder or commercial hydrogen canisters will not be allowed. As always, appropriate safety precautions and safe operation must be demonstrated.
2. Please note that in order to keep this competition safe for bystanders, students and competition judges, the Chem-E-Car Competition Committee is limiting the number of cars per school that can compete at a regional competition to 2 cars per school. All the EDPS are reviewed by volunteers, with over 120 EDPS that have to be reviewed and returned in a 1 month time frame. For questions in regards to this issue please email Sarah @ firstname.lastname@example.org
The following must be completed to compete in the 2016 Regional Chem-E-Car Competition®
1) Complete your Engineering Design Package, including the following documents (Note: For a complete list of required documents for the EDP, please review the Chem-E-Car Competition Safety Rules, Section 2.1.1
- Safety Checklist Regionals 2016
- Chem-E-Car Safety and Rules Verification Form Regionals 2016
- Certifications Page Regionals 2016
- JSA Regionals 2016
If a change must be made to your vehicle design, your must use the MOC Form: MOC Request Form Regionals 2016
Your EDP must be a single PDF. Please merge all of the documents into a single PDF and label the document with your University Name. For an example of a complete EDP, please see the document here:
2) Email the Engineering Design Package to the appropriate address to upload the EDP. EDPs must be recieved by midnight on the following due dates:
EDP Due Date
|Southern Regional||February 5, 2016|
|Mid America Regional||February 5, 2016|
|Rocky Mountain Regional||February 5, 2016|
|Southwest Regional||February 12, 2016|
|Mid-Atlantic Regional||February 12, 2016|
|North Central Regional||February 19, 2016|
|Western Regional||February 19, 2016|
|Pacific Northwest Regional||February 19, 2016|
|Northeast Regional||February 26, 2016|
Full EDP Upload instructions are located in the document here: EDP Submission Instructions 2016 Regionals
3) Everyone on the Chem-E-Car Team must complete the Chem-E-Car Safety Training and Test before your Regional Conference. Participants must complete the safety tests within the year that the competition takes place, i.e. those competing in the 2016 Regional Conference competitions in April 2016 must complete the test after April 2015.
Team Size Limit for Competition Day
Maximum five (5) participants in the ChemE Car Competition® prep area in full PPE at any one time. Members may be rotated in or out as needed, but only 5 at the table at a time.
Any questions or concerns can be sent to email@example.com.