STS AIChE February 2020 Monthly Dinner Meeting
February 6, 2020 Dinner Presentation: A Look at OSHA Activity and Incidents in the Chemical Industry
6:00PM - 7:00PM Social/Networking Time
7:00PM - 8:00PM Dinner and STS Announcements
8:00PM - 9:00PM Dinner Presentation/Speaker
Speaker: James Shelton, Compliance Assistance Specialist
Jim has been with the OSHA Houston North Area Office since 1996. In 2004 Jim became the Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) for OSHA Houston North Area Office which is a non-enforcement position within OSHA responsible for outreach, training, and assistance to employees, employers, and industry groups. The CAS also provides support to, maintains, and develops OSHA alliances and partnerships and assists on Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) audit teams. Prior to becoming the CAS, Jim was an OSHA inspector and conducted enforcement inspections on hundreds of worksites and investigated numerous workplace fatalities.
- 2017 Safety Professional of the Year award Gulf Coast chapter of the American Society Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- FY 2016 Region VI and OSHA Training Excellence Awards
Mr. Shelton has a M.S. Degree in Safety Management and a B.S Degree with a double major in Industrial Safety and Security from Central Missouri State University.
- Luke Air Force Base, AZ an active duty F-16 fighter training base which was also the largest fighter training base in the free world. Received the 1996 Air Education and Training Command (AETC) Safety Professional of the Year award and was one of 100 civilians chosen annually to attend the in-residence Air Force Squadron Officers School.
- 440th Airlift Wing, Milwaukee, WI, an Air Force Reserves air cargo base. Conducted facility inspections and assisted in the implementation of the ground safety program.
- Appleton Electric - Drafted comprehensive Lockout/Tagout and Confined Space Entry programs for this gray iron foundry in Milwaukee, WI.
- Central Missouri State University – Conducted comprehensive chemical inventory of campus, facility inspections, and other duties as assigned for the university’s safety office in Warrensburg, MO.
- Kim Originals – Wrote a comprehensive safety program and conducted related training for a light manufacturer in Sedalia, MO.
- Stuart Hall – Drafted a safety and health program for their California facility to comply with SB 198, conducted site inspections, and other duties as assigned for this paper products manufacturer in Kansas City, MO.
- Civil Engineering Environmental Section – Maintained the civil engineering environmental and Superfund project database at Whiteman Air Force Base, MO.
- U.S. Army with specialties in field artillery and imagery analysis with duty assignments as a maintenance clerk, field artillery nuclear weapons assembler, and counterintelligence.
Menu: Join STS AIChE on an All About Texas Evening!
Mixed Field Greens, Fruit Salad with Yogurt Dressing, and Baby Shrimp Pasta Salad
Chicken Marsala, Crawfish over Penne Pasta with a Cajun Cream Sauce and Sliced Prime Rib of Beef
Buttered Parsley Potatoes
Mixed Seasonal Vegetables
Assorted Dinner Rolls
Vegetarian Dinner Option:
Vegetable Stuffed Portabella Mushroom **
** This dish is by request only – reservations are due three (3) days before the event.
Chocolate Mousse Cake, Key Lime Pie, and Seasonal Fruit Platter
Iced tea with Lemon Wedges
** Cash only – no electronic payment option.
Online Registration closes at 4:00 pm the day of the event Thursday, February 6, 2019. After this time, you may register at the door.