January 2021 Announcements
- Call for Abstracts for 2021 AIChE Annual Meeting
- Call for Nominations: EdDiv Awards 2021
- Call for Participation: Virtual Communities of Practice
- Lab VCP Materials Now Online
- Call for Participation: ASEE P12 Survey
- Instructions for submitting EdDiv announcements
1. CALL FOR ABSTRACTS FOR 2021 AICHE ANNUAL MEETING
The “Call for Abstracts” for the 2021 AIChE Annual Meeting will open in January. Proposed EdDiv sessions and session chairs have already been submitted. Please look out for an email from AIChE for more information regarding the 2021 AIChE Annual Meeting, and of course consider submitting to one or more EdDiv sessions!
2. CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: ED-DIV AWARDS 2021
Please start thinking about your nominations for the Education Division Awards for 2021. The nomination deadline is June 1, 2021. Questions or suggestions for nomination can be sent to Past Chair, Matt Liberatore at email@example.com.
- Award for Service to Chemical Engineering Education: Recognizes an individual who has shown dedication and broad service to chemical engineering teaching and learning, especially in Chemical Engineering professional societies. Preference will be given to individuals within 25 years of completion of the highest degree.
- Award for Innovation in Chemical Engineering Education: Recognizes an individual who has created and/or implemented a pedagogical innovation into a course that has made a significant and documented positive impact on teaching effectiveness and student learning.
- Award for Excellence in Engineering Education Research: Recognizes an individual for outstanding research in education, with a focus on chemical engineering pedagogy, encompassing methods, applications, and assessment.
3. CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: VIRTUAL COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE
As a way to continue supporting faculty, students, and the broader AIChE community during this time, EdDiv plans to continue its Virtual Communities of Practice (VCPs) program for the Spring 2021 semester. Right now, the five VCPs will remain the same as last semester: (1) Mass & Energy Balances/Thermodynamics; (2) Transport/Separations; (3) Reactors/Controls/Computing; (4) Design; and (5) Lab.
If you are interested in participating in a Spring 2021 VCP, please sign up using this survey link by Monday, January 11.
Individual VCP leaders will follow-up with survey participants for scheduling and planning purposes. If you have any questions regarding the VCP program, please feel free to reach out to Matt Liberatore (Matthew.Liberatore@utoledo.edu) and/or Daniel Lepek (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. LAB VCP MATERIALS NOW ONLINE
Are you or another faculty member planning to teach a lab next semester? The Education Division's Lab-focused Virtual Community of Practice (VCP) compiled a list of resources for simulations, ways to do experiments remotely, and at-home experiments. Check out the site if you are looking for ideas!
5. CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: ASEE P12 SURVEY
The ASEE Commission on P12 Engineering Education is collecting information about activities and programs that support engineering education in the pre-college space. These could be activities taking place with students or with teachers; held in-school, extracurricular, or in informal environments; working with just a few individuals, or reaching large groups. The goal is to create a central resource so that all working in the P12 space can share with and learn from each other.
The information collected from the survey will be shared through a map and hub on the Commission’s website and to select programs to be highlighted in a “spotlight” section periodically. No information will be shared by the Commission without first securing the approval of those who filled out the survey. Everyone is asked to share this survey link with others they know who are involved in the P12 engineering space, whether they are members of ASEE or not.
Survey link: https://forms.gle/b6GreyywCLJBfon37
6. SUBMITTING ED-DIV ANNOUNCEMENTS
To submit an EdDiv announcement, please prepare a maximum of a 2-3 paragraph description including any relevant URLs and contact information as well as a subject line. Do not include any attachments. Email this information to Katie Cadwell <email@example.com> with the email heading “For EdDiv Announcements.” Announcements will be sent out near the beginning of each month. Each announcement will be included once, unless otherwise requested. Announcements will also be recorded on the Division website: http://www.aiche.org/community/sites/divisions-forums/education-division .