(730f) Process Synthesis and Global Optimization of Novel Ammonia Production Processes
AIChE Annual Meeting
Thursday, November 2, 2017 - 2:00pm to 2:18pm
In addition, with the increased availability of renewable energies and their declining costs , a paradigm shift to more decentralized local ammonia production may be realized. Integrating renewables into chemicals production requires a thorough analysis of advantages and trade-offs of alternative technologies, and in that respect, process synthesis and optimization techniques are useful tools in decision making [4, 5]. Toward this aim, we propose the development of an ammonia process superstructure that not only captures the traditional Haber-Bosch process, but also incorporates renewable energy sources and alternative ammonia production routes.
Through this optimization-based process synthesis, we can extract the optimal ammonia plant topology under different production scenarios. All process alternatives will be rigorously modeled and incorporated into the superstructure. Feedstock options will include renewables (e.g. biomass, municipal solid waste, etc.) and fossil fuels (e.g. natural gas, coal). Wind and solar energy will also be considered to supply the energy requirements for the process. The overall problem is a large-scale nonconvex mixed-integer nonlinear optimization (MINLP) model, which is solved to global optimality using a deterministic branch-and-bound algorithm.
Ammonia production processes with several different scales will be examined to investigate the effects of feedstock availability, energy source availability, and production scale on topological decisions. Also, economic and environmental trade-offs of using different technologies will be analyzed.
- P Arora, AFA Hoadley, SM Mahajani, A Ganesh, Small-Scale Ammonia Production from Biomass: A Techno-Enviro-Economic Perspective, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 55 (2016), pp. 6422-6434.
- M Reese, C Marquart, M Malmali, K Wagner, E Buchanan, A McCormick, EL Cussler, Performance of a Small-Scale Haber-Bosch, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 55 (2016), pp. 3742-3750.
- CA Floudas, AM Niziolek, O Onel, LR Matthews, Multi-Scale Systems Engineering for Energy and the Environment: Challenges and Opportunities, AIChE Journal, 62 (3) (2016), pp. 602-623.
- A Tremel, P Wasserscheid, M Baldauf, T Hammer, Techno-economic analysis for the synthesis of liquid and gaseous fuels based on hydrogen production via electrolysis, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40 (2015), pp. 11457-11464.
- O Onel, AM Niziolek, J Elia, RC Baliban, CA Floudas, Biomass and Natural Gas to Liquid Transportation Fuels and Olefins (BGTL + C2_C4): Process Synthesis and Global Optimization, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 54 (1) (2015), pp. 359-385.