PAIC consists of at least 15 and up to 20 members, who serve five-year terms. Members may only be re-nominated once, and therefore, serve a maximum of ten years. Members are selected to represent the broad membership, with at least one-third being current or former members of the Board of Directors and one-third chosen from various Institute entities.
Chartered in 2012, PAIC is tasked with:
- broadening AIChE's activities and providing consistent information flow to and from federal government representatives on technical issues where chemical engineering expertise is needed
- providing the various Institute groups (divisions, forums, and industry technology groups) and members with information on issues under consideration by public officials
- guiding members and local sections in their interactions with state and local government and, when asked, providing leadership on local issues that can have a broader impact
- developing internship and fellowship opportunities for AIChE members in public policy positions
- providing information on issues at the international level, and
- working more closely with sister organizations in the evolving global economy.