Invisibility Cloak Bends Light to Boost Solar Cell Output | AIChE

Invisibility Cloak Bends Light to Boost Solar Cell Output


If Harry Potter were to design solar panels for Hogwarts, his invisibility cloak may come in handy. But rather than providing a sneaky hideout for the wizards, the cloak would conceal dead zones on solar cells.

Such a technology would redirect sunlight around non-light-absorbing areas to active spots, thereby increasing the efficiency of photovoltaic cells.

Conventional photovoltaic cells can transform approximately 20% of the sun’s incoming energy into usable power, while the other 80% is lost. Although several factors (e.g., temperature) can lower solar-cell efficiency, one particular problem involves so-called contact fingers. These metal strips, which cover about one-tenth of the surface area of solar cells and extract the electricity generated by the cells, reduce the area available to absorb sunlight...

Would you like to access the complete CEP News Update?

No problem. You just have to complete the following steps.

You have completed 0 of 2 steps.

  1. Log in

    You must be logged in to view this content. Log in now.

  2. AIChE Membership

    You must be an AIChE member to view this article. Join now.

Copyright Permissions 

Would you like to reuse content from CEP Magazine? It’s easy to request permission to reuse content. Simply click here to connect instantly to licensing services, where you can choose from a list of options regarding how you would like to reuse the desired content and complete the transaction.

Related Topics