Humberto Brandi has received his BSc and MSc degrees in Physics, from the Pontíficia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-RIO), in 1967, Ph.D. degree in Physics, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in 1971. He presently is, Director of Scientific Metrology and Technology of Inmetro, (09/2016).
He acted as:
- Director of Scientific and Industrial Metrology of Inmetro (12/2004-04/2016)
- Member of the CIPM- International Committee of Weights and Measures (03/2013-06/2016)
- President of the Iberoamerican Federation of the Physical Societies, (2010-2014 )
- Professor of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (1994- 2009),
- Professor of the Pontíficia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (1971-1994),
- President of the Interamerican Metrology System, SIM, (1996-2010),
- President of the Brazilian Physical Society, SBF, (1997-2001),
- Director of the Physics Sector of the Brazilian National Research Council, CNPq, (1973-1975),
- Dean for Science and Engineering, Pontíficia Universidade Católica (PUC) -RIO, (1986-1991),
- Visiting Professor/Scientist in several universities and research institutes in Brazil and abroad.
He is author of more than 140 scientific publications. In the last ten years he gave 129 invited conferences/lectures in Metrology, Innovation and Sustainability. His present interests are in, Metrology, Sustainability, Metrics for Sustainability, Quality Infrastructure and Innovation.
Among the distinctions he has received the, Medal of the Order of National Scientific Merit (1998), Grã - Cruz of the National Scientific Merit (2008) from the President of Brazil, Brazilian Physical Society Recognition Award (2005 e 2010), IBM do Brasil Education Award (1991), and is member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences (1996).