The Disability Unity Convocation will raise awareness within the AIChE community regarding the needs and contributions of people with disabilities, and AIChE members with disabilities in particular. The session will highlight the contributions of chemical engineers with disabilities and the success of enterprises that employ them. The program will feature participants from AIChE and the American Chemical Society's (ACS) Chemists with Disabilities (CWD) committee.
The program will include a questionnaire assessing attendees’ perceptions and knowledge of steps that are being taken, or should be taken, in organizations and in AIChE; a panel discussion of diversity and inclusion experts and chemical engineers with disabilities; and breakout groups to generate ideas for AIChE’s inclusion strategy for members with disabilities.
- Lucas Landherr, Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Professor at Northeastern, Member of AIChE's ChemE's with Disabilities Taskforce
- Chris Pope, Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Independent Researcher / Consultant in Chemical Engineering, Chair of AIChE's ChemE's with Disabilities Taskforce
- Bill Byers, B.S. in Chemical Engineering, MBA, VP & Technology Fellow (retired), Industrial Water, CH2M, AIChE Past President (2004), Member of AIChE's ChemE's with Disabilities Taskforce
- Hoby Wedler, Ph.D. Candidate in Chemistry, Member of ACS CWD Committee
- Ashley Neybert, B.S. in Chemistry, Member of ACS CWD Committee
- John Johnston, Ph.D. in Food Science, MBA, Chair of ACS CWD Committee
- Cathy Kudlick, Ph.D. in History, Director of Paul K. Longmore Institute on Disability, Professor of History at San Francisco State University