June 2020 Scholarship Meeting (Virtual)
June 2020 Scholarship Meeting
This will be a Virtual Meeting using ZOOM: The Zoom meeting information is provided below. In this meeting, we will have a ChE career related presentation, recognition of the Capital Area Science Fair Award Winners, and presentation of our 2020 Scholarship Award Winners. The meeting will be hosted by Charles Merris, the Susquehanna Section Scholarship Coordinator.
- 6:30 – 6:45 pm Introductions
- 6:45 – 7:30 pm Speaker, Victoria Muir: “Chemical Engineering for a Better World”
- 7:30 – 7:45 pm Glen Foster, Capital Area Science Fair Award Winners
- 7:45 – 8:15 pm Charles Merris, Presentation of Scholarship Award Winners
- 8:15 – 8:30 pm Concluding remarks by Peter Kabatek, Section Chair and Charles Merris
- Garrett Dietz, Dover Area Senior High School
- Jacob Sevcik, Elizabethtown Area High School
CASEF Special Award Winners:
- Allison Weller, Hershey HS, Developing and Comparing Bioplastics
- Taylor Koda, Hershey HS, Which Packaging Leaches the Most Microplastics into Hot Coffee and Tea?
- Alexander Petula, Hershey MS, Does Powdered Sugar Propellant Produce More Thrust than Cooked Sugar Propellant?
- Jessica Minnick, St. Theresa MS, Smother It!
Victoria Grace Muir is a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Pennsylvania studying under Dr. Jason Burdick. Her research interests focus on developing hydrogel biomaterials towards musculoskeletal tissue repair and regeneration. In 2019, Victoria received both an NSF Fellowship and a Tau Beta Pi Fellowship for her graduate education. Outside of her thesis work, Victoria engages in K-12 STEM outreach, serving as a frequent guest scientist at local museums and community centers. Victoria is active in the AIChE Young Professionals Committee and K-12 Outreach Committee. In 2019, Victoria received the inaugural Poddar Award for Rising Chemical Engineers, which honors one recent graduate for their contributions to AIChE, chemical engineering, and society. Victoria graduated summa cum laude with an Honors Bachelor’s Degree with Distinction from the University of Delaware Department of Chemical Engineering in 2018. As an undergraduate student, she received a Goldwater Scholarship in her sophomore year. Victoria was highly involved in the University of Delaware AIChE Student Chapter, serving as chapter president in her senior year. She will pursue a career as a research professor in chemical engineering. Throughout her career, Victoria hopes to be a leader K-12 STEM outreach and promoting diversity in STEM fields.
ZOOM Meeting Info.: https://aiche.zoom.us/j/5173737223?pwd=Q2VWZ2pkVk9EZyt0V0RjeUJ4RlNvZz09 Meeting ID: 517 373 7223 Password: 699805
Dial in: 888 475 4499 US Toll-free 877 853 5257 US Toll-free Find your local number: https://aiche.zoom.us/u/ad7tzs1ld5