Student teams can consist of any discipline, but the team must have at least one student belong to AIChE. Student teams can have a mix of undergraduate and graduate student members.
Intellectual Property of the APP remains with the students who developed the APP.
The objective of this competition is:
- To give students practice at developing their creative skills.
- To enhance and promote student’s interest in new mobile device APPs for use in professional activities.
- To provide chemical engineering students with the opportunity to participate in a multidisciplinary team-oriented software design competition.
- To encourage students to become actively involved in their professional society.
- To show the connection between chemical engineering and society needs.
- To create useful mobile applications for the chemical engineering community
Suggested features of a winning APP for AIChE members
- APP enhances student or professional performance/quality of life.
- APP is built using high quality content of ChE/Chemistry/Engineering
- APP functions with few to no errors
- APP should be more than just a handbook
- APP may be a game to promote chemical engineering to society
See Interview with 2013 Winner & Demo of App
Nomination Packet (Documents)
The competition at the AIChE annual meeting will consist of a poster competition where finalists will be selected to give a short presentation to a general audience.
There will be two prizes, with monetary awards given to the student team’s AIChE chapter:
1) $500 from CACHE for the first place winner of the best mobile device APP
Previous Years Award Winners
|Deadline||November 14, 2016|
|Presentation||The competition at the AIChE annual meeting will consist of a poster competition where finalists will be selected to give a short presentation to a general audience at the conference in San Francisco, CA on November 14, 2016.|
|Nomination Instructions|| |
Intent to submit starting 31 January 2016
Send an email to Hesketh@Rowan.edu stating that you have formed a student team that is participating in this competition. (Only one email per team required). Submission on this date will insure timely emails to assist you with your App development.
Preliminary APP Description Submission 31 March 2016
This submission should be in the form of an email to Hesketh@Rowan.edu. In this email please include the following:
This information is only preliminary and will be used for planning purposes. Since this information is preliminary, changes in all the above information will be allowed at this point in the competition.
Final APP and Technical Documentation Submission 10/31/2016.
Technical documentation will consist of a word document or pdf and App code files. Documentation must have the following:
1.Listing of undergraduate and graduate students working on the APP, University or Universities represented by students
Poster Competition 11/14/2016 San Francisco, CA
Judging of the overall competition will be based on:
At this session a poster board must be displayed along with the APP working on a mobile device. This poster should outline the unique features of the APP and the programs structure. Please note that between 10/31/16 and the AIChE National Meeting the student team is allowed to further develop the software to improve its performance on the mobile device.
Complete Rules Download and Questions
Before submitting an application or making inquiries, make sure you read the complete document on this competition, covering its objectives, rules, judging criteria, and how the app and poster will be demonstrated at the conference.
AIChE/CACHE APP competition Committee:
Questions about this competition can be directed to: