Important Notice: Limited Web Access Dec 16 to 18, 2016
AIChE will undertake a routine upgrade of our digital infrastructure over the weekend of December 16-18, 2016. During this period access to certain areas of the website will be limited. Learn more about how access will be affected.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Environmental Division?
- How large is the Environmental Division?
- When was the Environmental Division founded?
- Who can join the Environmental Division?
- How can I find Environmental Division Programming at the AIChE meetings?
- I'm a chemical engineering student. What does the Environmental Division offer me?
- What about the Sustainable Engineering Forum (SEF)?
- How can I get involved in the Environmental Division?
- Who should I contact with other questions about the Environmental Division?
The Environmental Division is one of AIChE’s twenty divisions and forums. The Environmental Division is an organizational gathering place for chemical engineers interested in environmental applications of chemical engineering. Environmental Division members deal with environmental issues in various media (air, water, soil, waste, energy) and in different capacities (industry, academy, government, and consulting).
- Developing and holding technical sessions for AIChE meetings.
- Provide live (at AIChE meetings) and virtual networking opportunities for chemical engineers seeking jobs in environmental specialties.
- Holding special events at meetings such as the Environmental Division banquet, and the recent panel discussion "Chemical Engineering Career Paths: Environmental Sustainability & The Environment."
- Recognizing the achievements of our members with awards such as the Lawrence K. Cecil Award, and the Graduate Student Paper Award.
- Assist with the publication and management of the AIChE Journal Environmental Progress & Sustainable Engineering.
The Environmental Division has approximately 800 members.
The Environmental Division was founded in 1970.
Any AIChE member can join the Environmental Division. Click here to join AIChE.
Environmental Division programming can be found in the “technical program” section of any AIChE meeting. The Environmental Division is “Group 09” and our sessions start with the numbers 09.
The Environmental Division offers students access to networking opportunities with seasoned and dedicated professionals in all facets of environmental chemical engineering. If you contact an officer, we can match you with a mentor. Mentors can answer questions about finding a job or internship, networking, and graduate school. Undergraduate students who enter posters in Environmental Division sessions at the fall meeting are eligible for the Student Environmental Paper Award. While you don’t need to be a member of the Environmental Division to attend our technical sessions, members (even student members) can be active in selecting, planning and executing technical sessions.
The Sustainable Engineering Forum is a subgroup of AIChE dedicated to achieving sustainable development with chemical engineering. SEF and the Environmental Division frequently collaborate on technical programming for AIChE meetings. For more information on SEF, see their website.
Check out our website. If you are interested in volunteering, contact an officer of the Environmental Division.
Contact an officer of the Environmental Division.