January 24, 2013
As I begin 2013 as AIChE’s president, I want to share my belief that we’re entering a new Golden Age of Chemical Engineering. Why is this a time for chemical engineering to shine? Consider what is happening:
- manufacturing’s shift to emphasize processes and properties
- the new abundance of hydrocarbon resources
- biology’s turning into a molecular science
- computing’s evolution into a cyberinfrastructure
- society’s need for the breadth and problem-solving approaches of chemical engineering.