Inspiring and Empowering Women in Engineering
As the professional home of many successful women, Pfizer Inc values diversity and inclusion as crucial components to building its business and company culture.
From grass-roots STEM programs to the executive suite, Pfizer Inc has made investing in women professionals a priority.
Here are a few examples:
- The National Association of Female Executives (NAFE) has ranked Pfizer Inc among the Top 50 companies for executive women. Currently, there are eight women serving in executive leadership or board positions at Pfizer Inc.
- Pfizer Inc has participated in addressing the STEM gender gap by hosting a Girls Who Code program at its New York headquarters.
- Earned the "Most Women Friendly Employer of the Year" at the fourth annual Women in Leadership (WIL) Middle East and Africa Forum in Dubai.
- Named most gender equal workplace in Sweden
- Supporting women leaders by investing $100 million in women-owned business
Ian C. Read
Accepting on behalf of Pfizer Inc is Ian C. Read, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer
Ian C. Read leads Pfizer Inc, one of the world’s premier innovative biopharmaceutical companies, which brings therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives. These include medicines, vaccines and many of the world’s best-known consumer health care products.
Prior to being named Chairman of the Board in 2011, and Chief Executive Officer in December 2010, he served as Senior Vice President and Group President of the Worldwide Biopharmaceutical Businesses, which he led from 2006 through December 2010. In that role, he oversaw five global business units—Primary Care, Specialty Care, Oncology, Established Products and Emerging Markets. Mr. Read began his career with Pfizer Inc in 1978 as an operational auditor.
He worked in Latin America through 1995, holding positions including Chief Financial Officer, Pfizer Inc Mexico, and Country Manager, Pfizer Inc Brazil. In 1996, he was appointed President of Pfizer Inc’s International Pharmaceuticals Group, with responsibility for Latin America and Canada. He became Executive Vice President, Europe, in 2000, was named a Corporate Vice President in 2001, and assumed responsibility for Canada, in addition to Europe, in 2002. Mr. Read later became accountable for operations in both the Africa/Middle East region and Latin America as well.
Ian is a Director of Kimberly-Clark Corporation. He also serves on the Boards of Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA) and the Partnership of New York City.
Ian received his B.Sc. in chemical engineering from London University Imperial College in 1974 and earned his Chartered Accountants certification from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales.