The 2014 Strategic Plan, given below, was approved by the Board of Directors on August 5, 2014.
A Strategic Planning committee was formed in 2013 by the Board of Directors in order to perform a stakeholder review of the 2008 AIChE Strategic Plan and its implementation. In the 2008 plan, the AIChE Board of Directors had commissioned, developed, and approved a long-range strategy for the Institute. That document identified five strategic goals and three enabling goals with a time horizon of nominally 5 years.
The new Strategic Planning committee recommended changes for AIChE to best fulfill its mission in the future, with emphasis on the next five years. The five 2014 Strategic Goals ("GIVES") are largely unchanged except for the fifth, social-goal statement. To help achieve these goals, the three original enabling goals and two new ones are in the 2014 plan.
- Become a global organization of chemical engineering practitioners that addresses global challenges.
- Strengthen industry and technology groups and create new groups where needed to support the diverse interests of members.
- Aggressively use information technologies to deliver advanced products and services for members.
- Engage with others to enhance the undergraduate curriculum in chemical engineering and promote life-long learning.
- Impact societal issues by partnering globally with a focus on significant and relevant challenges.
The five approved enabling goals are important in helping achieve the strategic goals:
- Identification of alternative business models that rely less on membership dues.
- Make membership in AIChE more inclusive.
- Continue to strive for operational excellence.
- Implement a volunteer leadership development process.
- Elevate chemical engineers’ competitiveness in the global marketplace.
The AIChE Mission statement is to be a global leader in advancing the theory and practice of chemical engineering, to be the life long career home for our members, to promote safety in every aspect of chemical engineering and to be a leader in applying the knowledge of chemical engineering principles for the betterment of society.
These approved strategic goals will help us achieve our mission, be financially sound and deliver quality service which results in member satisfaction.
Details of the process to review the 2008 Strategic Plan and the AIChE Strategy Project Final Report can be downloaded below.