Next month, AIChE’s LGBTQ+ & Allies Initiative will hold two Safe Zone Ally Training workshops. These interactive, research-informed workshops seek to foster a more inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ individuals in STEM, through building participant knowledge and skills and creating a visible network of allies. The events will be held in conjunction with ASEE and as part of AIChE's Equity, Diversity & Inclusion initiative. Faculty, students, administrators, staff, and other professionals are welcome to participate.
If you are unable to attend the live workshops, you can access the recorded versions after the workshops take place at the link below. Just remember to create a free account with ASEE first.
See below for a brief overview of what to look forward to.
Safe Zone LGBTQ+ Ally Training Level 1
Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 2:00pm–3:30pm EDT
- Led by Anthony Butterfield and Dr. Jennifer Winikus
- Describes key LGBTQ+ terminology and concepts
- Explores LGBTQ+ identity development and the coming out process
- Offers simple strategies for being an ally and building an inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ individuals
Safe Zone LGBTQ+ Ally Training Level 2
Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 2:00pm–3:30pm EDT
- Led by Alon McCormick and Alisha Sarang-Sieminski
- Discusses the climate for LGBTQ+ individuals in STEM and ways that allies can support LGBTQ+ students and colleagues
- Explores techniques for creating inclusive classroom environments
ASEE Safe Zone Ally Training Workshops are supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) through Grant Nos. EEC-1539140 and EEC-1748499. Since this project commenced in fall 2015, ASEE has hosted 70 workshops and trained more than 1,200 individuals. Learn more at https://lgbtq.asee.org.
Join AIChE’s LGBTQ+ & Allies Online Community
This community is open to professional AIChE members who are LGBTQ+ and allies. Topics of discussion will include the ongoing development of LGBTQ+ initiatives within AIChE, plus issues concerning, and opportunities for, LGBTQ+ chemical engineering professionals.