NMSBrew Ginger Beer Wins Grand Prize in Brewing Competition

AIChE's Rio Grande Local Section and their team, NMSBrew, won the grand prize at the third annual AIChE Beer Brewing Competition in Orlando, FL, on Sunday, November 10. This is the local section and team’s first time taking the top award, but their third year in the competition.

The tasting competition, which accounts for 80% of the overall score, was judged by Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) official judges. The poster competition, which accounts for the remaining 20% of the overall score, was judged by AIChE professional members. Other awards included the Most Efficient Brew, the Biggest Beer (i.e., the one that had the highest starting gravity), and the Best Beer Label Design. AIChE professional members also got to participate as guest taste judges for the People's Choice award.

The AIChE Young Professionals Committee hosted the competition with support from the AIChE Foundation.

Photos from the event can be found in the slideshow below.

The full list of winners is below:

  • Grand Prize – NMSBrew’s Ginger Beer
  • Grand Prize 1st Runner Up – MSU ChemE’s Sour Beer
  • Grand Prize 2nd Runner Up -  Brewsburgh’s Oud Bruin
  • Best of Show from BJCP Judges – NMSBrew’s Ginger Beer
  • Best Poster Presentation – Brewsburgh
  • People’s Choice Award – Bad News Beers’ Imperial Stout
  • Most Efficient Brew – MMAIChE
  • Biggest Beer – Fugacity Brewing
  • Best Beer Label – Blind Squirrel Brewing’s Chipmunk Farmhouse Ale