Special Section: Process Intensification
Process Intensification in Practice
RAPID’s Quest for Intensification
These and other RAPID-funded ventures could transform industry by making chemical processes cleaner, smaller, safer, and more energy-efficient.
Introduction to Dividing-Wall Columns
A dividing wall can be added within a distillation column to improve the separation efficiency of three or more products.
A Building-Block Approach to Process Intensification
This new approach represents chemical processes as abstract blocks arranged in a two-dimensional grid. Mathematical-programming-based optimization can identify the best design for intensification at the equipment and flowsheet levels.
Using Simulation and Digitalization for Modular Process Intensification
These tools enable engineers to create a digital twin of a process, which can be key to developing new technologies and testing them virtually at a rapid pace.
Reactions and Separations
Evaluate Catalyst Replacement Economics: Part 2 — Continuous Replacement
Reaction conversion and selectivity can deteriorate as a catalyst ages. Optimize continuous catalyst makeup and replacement rate to improve profitability.
Back to Basics
Risk-Based Process Safety
What happens when organizations don’t follow risk-based process safety guidelines?
- Using Bacteria to Kill Bacteria: A Clean Water Solution
- A Robot that Acts Like a Houseplant
- Engineers Capture the Sun in a Box
- From Liquid to Solid in Seconds: Near-Instantaneous 3D Printing
- Editorial: Getting Creative with My Writing
- Catalyzing Commercialization: Microfluidics-Based Bioanalytical Solutions Change the Game
- AIChE Journal Highlight: Quantitatively Assessing the Structural Effect of Hierarchical Zeolites
- New Products: Fluids and Solids Handling; Environmental, Health, and Safety; Instrumentation
- INTERPHEX Expo Preview
- Process Safety Beacon: Undetected Ball Valve Failure
- Patent Update: Patentable Invention or Mere Optimization?
- Young Professionals Point of View: Two Roads: MS ChE or MBA?
- Technical Entity Trends: Entrepreneurship in the CPI: Paving the Road to Innovation
- Institute News
- 2019 Spring Meeting and 15th Global Congress on Process Safety
- AIChE Members Elected to the National Academy of Engineering
The March 2019 issue of CEP is now available online. AIChE members receive access to CEP, including a searchable archive of issues dating back to 2001, online at https://www.aiche.org/cep.