(161a) Sensor Fusion Applications in Industrial Chemical Process Monitoring
AIChE Spring Meeting and Global Congress on Process Safety
Thursday, August 20, 2020 - 1:30pm to 1:50pm
A number of applications have been carried out with the use of sensor fusion from Dowâs businesses, one related to critical chemical level monitoring in waste water streams and the other in a product manufacturing process. In the first case, both regression and classification type of software sensors are built and enhanced with decision and model fusion to achieve high accuracy on toxin level quantification. A more than 10 times faster turnaround is achieved than traditional GC/MS method with <5% false negative alarms of incorrectly predicting a low toxin concentration when actual level is high. In the second case, a multi-rate sensor fusion scheme based on Bayesian fusion is developed. The product impurity was estimated by fusing the measurements from a lab analyzer, an online analyzer and a PLS soft sensor with different sampling rates. The proposed approach is found to correctly identify impurity alarm without generating any false alarms .
Overall, applying sensor fusion in the proposed business/manufacturing processes is expected to achieve quick monitoring and bring increased product quality, on-time delivery, and product availability.
- Wold, S., M. Sjöström, and L. Eriksson, PLS-regression: a basic tool of chemometrics. Chemometrics and intelligent laboratory systems, 2001. 58(2): p. 109-130.
- Chiang, L.H., et al., Diagnosis of multiple and unknown faults using the causal map and multivariate statistics. Journal of Process Control, 2015. 28: p. 27-39.
- Bishop, C.M., Neural networks for pattern recognition. 1995: Oxford university press.
- Jang, J.-S.R., C.-T. Sun, and E. Mizutani, Neuro-fuzzy and soft computing: a computational approach to learning and machine intelligence. 1997.
- Kadlec, P., B. Gabrys, and S. Strandt, Data-driven Soft Sensors in the process industry. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 2009. 33(4): p. 795-814.
- Wang, Z.; Chiang, L., Monitoring Chemical Processes Using Judicious Fusion of Multi-Rate Sensor Data. Sensors 2019, 19 (10), 2240.