RAPID continues to carve out the landscape of how and in which industries modular and chemical process intensification can enable step changes in energy efficiency, capital and operating cost factors, environmental emissions, commercial project execution and market penetration. As part of this effort, the Institute is holding interactive sessions co-located with several AIChE events. These sessions will convene scientists, engineers, and other stakeholders working across the spectrum of academia, industry, and government entities to participate in facilitated problem-discovery and roadmapping.
You can expect to see a RAPID representative, including CEO Bill Grieco or CTO Jim Bielenberg, at these events to provide an overview of the Institute and its roadmap. This will be followed by facilitated small-group brainstorming breakouts to explore the challenges being faced by the industry or topics of interest and identifying those that could be solved with modular chemical process intensification. These events will provide participants with real world examples and current applications to consider.
Here’s the lineup for 2018. We hope to see you at one of these events.
- Technical and Engineering Challenges of Addressing the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, Pittsburgh, PA, Nov. 1–2, 2018 with the RAPID session on Friday, Nov. 1st, 1pm–3pm: The United Nations recently published 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Many of these goals pertain to the engineering community including clean water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy, industry, innovation and infrastructure, sustainable cities and communities, responsible consumption and production, climate action, etc. RAPID will hold a problem-discovery brainstorming session at the end of this workshop to identify the potential role of MCPI in sustainable development.
- Space Travel: Adaptive Research and Technologies from biological and chemical engineering (STAR Tech), Houston, TX, Nov. 12–14, 2018 with the RAPID session on Wednesday, Nov. 14th, 9:00am–11am. Although space travel and habitation may seem like a distant topic from MCPI, they have more similarities than meet the eye. MCPI is a set of technologies that bring significant reduction in equipment size and improvement in energy efficiency — both key targets for space habitation.
- Industrial Water Use and Reuse Workshop 2018, San Antonio, TX, Nov. 15–16 with the RAPID session on Friday, Nov. 16th, 1pm–3pm. During the initial roadmapping for the RAPID Manufacturing Institute, water was identified as a key issue in almost all of the six focus areas. During this session, facilitated small groups will refine the gaps already identified by RAPID and build on this list of gaps. The workshop will end with large group discussion to prioritize the gaps.
- Food Innovation and Engineering (FOODIE) Conference, Napa, CA, Dec. 2–4, 2018 with the RAPID session on Sunday, Dec. 2nd, 10:45am–12:45pm. A problem-discovery session to identify how MCPI can be applied to food production will follow a panel discussion on advanced manufacturing.
- SPS '18 - Innovations in Transforming Waste to Value-Added Products, New Brunswick, NJ, Dec. 5–7, 2018 with the RAPID session on Friday, Nov. 7th, 1pm–3pm to identify the challenges in deploying modular decentralized equipment for waste valorization.
- CCR: Forum on Innovative Strategic Partnerships, Wilmington, DE, Dec. 17–18, 2018.