(7a) Non-Intrusive Internal Inspections of Pressure Vessels in HHC Service
- Conference: AIChE Spring Meeting and Global Congress on Process Safety
- Year: 2018
- Proceeding: 2018 Spring Meeting and 14th Global Congress on Process Safety
- Group: Global Congress on Process Safety
- Time: Monday, April 23, 2018 - 10:30am-11:00am
Pressure equipment has traditionally called for internal visual inspections augmented with applicable NDE in order to evaluate a pressure vessel suitability for continued service. This burden is extremely expensive and inherently unsafe. Recent recognized and generally acceptable good engineering practice (RAGAGEP) is allowing non-intrusive inspections or external inspections in lieu of internal inspections when the external NDE provides data as good as or better than that provided by an internal inspection. Advanced NDE technology has progressed to the ability for provide extremely detailed information which in many cases is better than can be obtained by an internal visual inspection; and it is much safer.
This presentation will discuss and outline how to implement a non-intrusive inspection (NII) program. Points to be presented and discussed include:
- Advantages & disadvantages of a NII program
- Determination if a NII should be performed alone or in conjunction with other inspection methods
- Defining the requirements of a NII
- Selecting the appropriate NII methods
- Preparing the NII plan
- Performing the appropriate NDE inspections
- Evaluating the results
The presentation will look at the high inherent risks associated with putting people into hazardous confined spaces versus the ability to fully assess a pressure vessel from the outside. The benefits of not entering confined spaces while still ensuring pressure vessel suitability for service are a significant risk reducer for any company.
This paper has an Extended Abstract file available; you must purchase the conference proceedings to access it.
Do you already own this?
Log In for instructions on accessing this content.
|Employees of CCPS Member Companies||$150.00|
|AIChE Graduate Student Members||Free|
|AIChE Undergraduate Student Members||Free|