(757e) Membrane Remodelling By Proteins and Nanostructure
- Conference: AIChE Annual Meeting
- Year: 2019
- Proceeding: 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting
- Group: Engineering Sciences and Fundamentals
- Time: Friday, November 15, 2019 - 8:54am-9:06am
We also performed simulations to understand how tubular membrane structures of the Endoplasmic reticulum , Golgi, mitochondria, and other cellular organelles are created and maintained. Our simulations show that the membrane area growth and volume reduction can induce tubular membrane structure in concert with curved proteins previously found to shape these tubules .
We use our model to simulate membrane remodelling induced by protein molecules in biological processes. Our simulations reveal the scaffolding role of Atg protein complexes in autophagosome biogenesis in autophagy, a critical physiological process winning the Nobel prize of medicine in 2016. We show that cooperative interaction of aggregates of several protein chains is essential to remodel the membrane appropriately . Our outstanding results, in collaboration with experimental colleagues from Berkeley, indicate how ESCRT (endosomal sorting complex required for transport) machinery can induce membrane remodelling and scission .
(1) Bahrami, A. H., Lipowsky, R., & Weikl, T. R., Phys. Rev. Lett. 2012, 109, 188102.
(2) Bahrami, A. H. et. al, Advances in colloid and interface science 2014, 208, 214-224.
(3) Bahrami, A. H., Lipowsky, R., & Weikl, T. R., Soft Matter 2016, 12(2), 581-587.
(4) Bahrami, A. H., Soft Matter 2013, 9(36), 8642-8646.
(5) Bahrami, A. H., & Weikl, Nano Letters 2018, 18(2), 1259-1263.
(6) Bahrami, A. H., & Hummer, G., ACS Nano 2017, 11(9), 9558-9565.
(7) Bahrami, A. H., Lin, M. G., Ren, X., Hurley, J. H., & Hummer, G., PLOS Comput. Biol. 2017, 13(10).
(8) Schoeneberg, J. et. al, Science 362 (6421), 1423-1428.