(62e) Simultaneous Design and Operation of Renewable Energy Carrier Production
With this study, we propose a simultaneous design and operation strategy for relating short-term decisions like scheduling and unit commitment to long-term decisions like design and synthesis [7-9]. In order to consider the dynamics of the intermittent resource availability and variation, temporal domain is hourly discretized and connected through inventory constraints in a multi-period formulation. In order to reduce the size of the resulting mixed-integer linear program, representative days based on time clustering are selected and cycled to constitute annual operation. Computational studies are done on comparison of energy carrier production from solar and wind resources in a high intensity region (Texas) and shipment to a low intensity region (New York) versus local energy production and battery storage in a low intensity region (New York). These cases are compared both individually and together in a multi-site production problem.
- C.A. Floudas, A.M. Niziolek, O. Onel, L.R. Matthews, âMulti-scale systems engineering for energy and the environment: Challenges and opportunitiesâ, AIChE J. 62, 602-623, 2016.
- A. Mitsos, N. Asprion, C.A. Floudas, M. Bortz, M. Baldea, D. Bonvin, A. Caspari, P. Schaefer, âChallenges in process optimization for new feedstocks and energy sources,â Comput. Chem. Eng., vol. 113, pp. 209â221, 2018.
- O. Schmidt, A. Gambhir, I. Staffell, A. Hawkes, J. Nelson, and S. Few, âFuture cost and performance of water electrolysis: An expert elicitation study,â Int. J. Hydrog. Energy, vol. 42, no. 52, pp. 30470 â 30492, 2017.
- G. Wang, A. Mitsos, W. Marquardt, âConceptual design of ammonia-based energy storage system: System design and time-invariant performance,â AIChE J., vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1620â1637, 2017.
- C.D. Demirhan, W.W. Tso, J.B. Powell, E.N. Pistikopoulos, "Sustainable Ammonia Production Through Process Synthesis and Global Optimization", AIChE J., 2018, available online.
- W.W. Tso, C.D. Demirhan, S.Y. Lee, H. Song, J.B. Powell, E.N. Pistikopoulos, "Energy Carrier Supply Chain Optimization: A Texas Case Study", FOCAPD 2019, accepted manuscript.
- Z. Yuan, B. Chen, G. Sin, R. Gani, âState-of-the-art and progress in the optimization-based simultaneous design and control for chemical processes,â AIChE J., vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1640â1659, 2012.
- N.E. Koltsaklis, M.C. Georgiadis, âAn integrated unit commitment and generation expansion planning model,â Comput. Aided Chem. Eng., vol. 37, pp. 2273 â 2278, 2015.
- Q. Zhang, M. MartÃn, I.E. Grossmann, âIntegrated design and operation of renewables-based fuels and power production networks,â Comput. Chem. Eng., 2018.