(558ax) Carbon Dioxide Activation and Electroreduction in Ionic Liquids Systems
Recently, we found that high efficiency of CO2 capture and conversion is achieved via an ionic microhabitat (IMH) in the novel IL (such as [Bmim][124Triz]) reaction system, which means the nanoscale aggregates and chemical interaction in the ion of [124Triz]-CO2- result in a superior solubility of CO2 under ambient conditions. More notably, it shows that the stable CO2 molecule is changed to a bent form with a net negative charge (0.546 e) in the [124Triz]-CO2- ion. In addition, the IMH provides a facile route for the transferring of the activated CO2- to the cathode surface, then improves the current density and Faradaic efficiency of CO2 electroreduction. Based on the above principle, we develpoed a series ionic liquids and electro-reduce CO2 to be formic acid, oxalic acid, carbon monoxide with high efficiency[3-5]. Moreover, a continuous device with volume of 1 liter for electrochemical conversion of CO2 to carbon monoxide in ionic liquids is set up, and the scale up mechanism are investigated. This work will provide a promising route for the electrochemical conversion of carbon dioxide to chemicals.
- Zeng, S. J.; Zhang, X. P.; Bai, L.; Zhang, X. C.; Wang, H.; Wang, J. J.; Bao, D.; Li, M. D.; Liu, X. Y.; Zhang, S. J. Ionic-liquid-based CO2 capture systems: structure, interaction and process. Rev., 2017, 117: 9625-9673.
- Asadi, M.; Kim, K.; Liu, C.; Addepalli, A. V.; Abbasi, P.; Yasaei, P.; Phillips, P.; Behranginia, A.; Cerrato, J. M.; Haasch, R.; Zapol, P.; Kumar, B.; Klie, R. F.; Abiade, J.; Curtiss, L. A.; Salehi-Khojin, A. Nanostructured transition metal dichalcogenide electrocatalysts for CO2 reduction in ionic liquid. Science, 2016, 353: 467-470.
- Feng, J. P.; Zeng, S. J.; Liu, H. Z.; Feng, J. Q.; Gao, H. S.; Bai, L.; Dong, H. F.; Zhang, S. J.; Zhang, X. P. Insights into carbon dioxide electroreduction in ionic liquids: carbon dioxide activation and selectivity tailored by ionic microhabitat. ChemSusChem, 2018, 11: 3191-3197.
- Feng, J. P.; Zeng, S. J.; Feng, J. Q.; Dong, H. F.; Zhang, X. P. CO2 electroreduction in ionic liquids: A review. J. Chem., 2018, 36: 961-970.
- Feng, J. Q.; Gao, H. S.; Feng, J. P.; Zeng, S. J.; Dong, H. F.; Liu, L.; Zhang, S. J.; Zhang, X. P. Promoting electrocatalytic CO2 reduction to formate via ultrathin nanosheet In2S3 in ionic liquid.