(25d) Solubility of Gases in Brine for Underground Gas Storage Application: Experimental Measurements and Modeling
AIChE Annual Meeting
2019 AIChE Annual Meeting
Engineering Sciences and Fundamentals
High Pressure Phase Equilibria and Modeling
Sunday, November 10, 2019 - 4:21pm to 4:38pm
The design and optimization of the storage facility, as well as the monitoring of temperature, pressure and gas quantity in the caverns, require the knowledge of phase diagrams (operating condition mainly with CO2) and the use of a very accurate thermodynamic model under the operating conditions of storage  and transport (hydrate risk in the case of CH4 and CO2). The development of thermodynamic models for such systems (gas-water-salt) requires the availability of reliable experimental solubility data.
Several experimental techniques have been used to study the phase behavior of gas-water-salt systems. Herein we compare the results obtained using two different techniques: the first one is based on the static-analytic method (phase sampling and GC analysis)  and the second one is the one presented by Ahmadi and Chapoy 2018  (liquid phase sampling, gas/brine separation, brine gravimetric analysis and gas volumetric analysis with gasometer). Experimental results of CO2-H2O-NaCl system obtained with both methods and literature data of gas-water and gas-brine systems are modeled with recently developed models based on asymmetric (gamma-phi) and symmetric (phi-phi) approach: a modified version of the Soreide and Whitson "m-SW" model, the electrolyte Peng-Robinson Cubic Plus Association "e-PR-CPA" and a geochemical model [5, 7]. An excellent description of the data can be obtained with the three models over a wide range of state conditions.
- Bailera, M., et al., Decision-making methodology for managing photovoltaic surplus electricity through Power to Gas: Combined heat and power in urban buildings. Applied energy, 2018. 228: p. 1032-1045.
- ANR. FLUIDSTORY project : Massive and reversible underground storage of fluids (O2, CO2, CH4) for energy storage and recovery. 2016-2020; Available from: http://www.agence-nationale-recherche.fr/Project-ANR-15-CE06-0015.
- Kezibri, N. and C. Bouallou, Conceptual design and modelling of an industrial scale power to gas-oxy-combustion power plant. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2017. 42(30): p. 19411-19419.
- LAHAIE, F., P. GOMBERT, and C. BOUDET, "Le stockage souterrain dans le contexte de la transition énergétique" MaÃ®trise des risques et impacts. 2016.
- Chabab, S., et al., Thermodynamic study of the CO2 â H2O â NaCl system: Measurements of CO2 solubility and modeling of phase equilibria using Soreide and Whitson, electrolyte CPA and SIT models. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, in press 2019.
- Ahmadi, P. and A. Chapoy, CO2 solubility in formation water under sequestration conditions. Fluid Phase Equilibria, 2018. 463: p. 80-90.
- Corvisier, J. Modeling water-gas-rock interactions using CHESS/HYTEC. in Goldschmidt Conference, FlorenceâItaly. 2013.
This paper has an Extended Abstract file available; you must purchase the conference proceedings to access it.
Do you already own this?
Log In for instructions on accessing this content.
|AIChE Graduate Student Members||Free|
|AIChE Undergraduate Student Members||Free|