(174bw) Sustainable, Efficient, and Robust Mxene-Based Emulsion Liquid Membranes for Heavy Metals Removal
We have studied the replacement of the acidic internal phase with two-dimensional (2D) nanomaterials. In this paper, we report results on the ELM stability, providing a better understanding of swelling, tendency to rupture, and separation performance in ELMs. We used kerosene, di(2-ethylhexyl) phosphoric ethyl hexyl) phosphoric acid (MEHPA), and Span 80 as the diluent, the carrier, and the surfactant, respectively. Graphene oxide, molybdenum disulfide and Ti3C2TxMXene suspensions were used as the internal phase. MEHPA and the strippers were chosen based on conventional liquidâliquid extraction studies. In addition, process parameters such as the speed of mixing the two phases, concentrations of hydrogen ions in the internal and external phases, membrane-to-emulsion (M/E) ratio, and carrier, surfactant, and 2D nanomaterial concentrations were optimized to lower the level of mercury ions in water to below the level accepted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Keywords: Emulsion Liquid Membrane, MXene, MEHPA, Mercury Ions, Wastewater Treatment
- Weeks, J. How Wastewater Treatment Could Save 842,000 Lives a Year. http://www.theinertia.com/environment/how-waste-water-treatment-could-save-842000-lives-a-year/.
- Leflaive, X. In Water Outlook to 2050: The OECD calls for early and strategic action, Global Water Forum, 2012.
- Laki, S.; Arabi Shamsabadi, A.; Seidi, F.; Soroush, M., Sustainable Recovery of Silver from Deactivated Catalysts Using a Novel Process Combining Leaching and Emulsion Liquid Membrane Techniques. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2018.
- Hasan, M.; Selim, Y.; Mohamed, K., Removal of chromium from aqueous waste solution using liquid emulsion membrane. Journal of hazardous materials 2009, 168 (2-3), 1537-1541.
- Laki, S.; Arabi Shamsabadi, A.; Seidi, F.; Soroush, M., Sustainable Recovery of Silver from Deactivated Catalysts Using a Novel Process Combining Leaching and Emulsion Liquid Membrane Techniques. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2018, 57 (41), 13821-13832.
- Alejandra, T., Chlorpheniramine recovery from aqueous solutions by emulsion liquid membranes using soy lecithin as carrier. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 2017.
- Goh, P.; Ismail, A., A review on inorganic membranes for desalination and wastewater treatment. Desalination 2017.
- Mesli, M.; Belkhouche, N.-E., Emulsion ionic liquid membrane for recovery process of lead. Comparative study of experimental and response surface design. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 2018, 129, 160-169.
- Mokhtari, B.; Pourabdollah, K., Emulsion liquid membrane for selective extraction of Bi (III). Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering 2015, 23 (4), 641-645.
- Ahmad, A.; Kusumastuti, A.; Derek, C.; Ooi, B., Emulsion liquid membrane for heavy metal removal: An overview on emulsion stabilization and destabilization. Chemical engineering journal 2011, 171 (3), 870-882.
- Kumbasar, R. A., Selective extraction of cobalt from strong acidic solutions containing cobalt and nickel through emulsion liquid membrane using TIOA as carrier. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 2012, 18 (6), 2076-2082.