(159d) Miniature CSTRs for the Synthesis of InP-Based Semiconductor Nanocrystals
Herein, we use a series of micro-sized CSTRs for the multistep and high-temperature colloidal synthesis of various types of semiconductor nanocrystals, while focusing on the continuous formation of InP-based core-shell QDs. Temperature and stirring rate of precursors are independently controlled in each Î¼CSTR. Residence time distribution (RTD) measurements have been performed to assess the mixing properties of the fabricated CSTRs. In all experimental conditions, the measured and ideal RTD profiles have shown high consistency. We have also demonstrated the applicability of the synthetic platform on the formation of binary QDs with product characteristics comparable to well-established batch and microfluidic techniques. Most importantly, we have re-engineered the continuous formation of InP-based core/shell QDs using a synthetic protocol involving a safer phosphine precursor. In this protocol, the Î¼CSTR cascade configuration can handle reactions between 20 minutes and 3 hours, which are almost impossible to be employed in tube-based continuous flow reactors. Finally, we demonstrate the efficiency of the platform by tuning the optical properties of the particles by altering the reaction time, temperature, molar ratios of precursors and shell thickness. With this approach, we aim to deliver a safer, cost-efficient, and scalable continuous process for the formation of indium-based QDs for their subsequent use in optoelectronic applications.
- Owen, J.; Brus, L. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, (32), 10939-10943.
- Tamang, S.; Lincheneau, C.; Hermans, Y.; Jeong, S.; Reiss, P. Chem. Mater. 2016, 28, (8), 2491-2506.
- Xie, L.; Shen, Y.; Franke, D.; Sebastián, V.; Bawendi, M. G.; Jensen, K. F. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, (41), 13469-13472.
- Tessier, M. D.; Dupont, D.; De Nolf, K.; De Roo, J.; Hens, Z. Chem. Mater. 2015, 27, (13), 4893-4898.
- Yu, S.; Fan, X.-B.; Wang, X.; Li, J.; Zhang, Q.; Xia, A.; Wei, S.; Wu, L.-Z.; Zhou, Y.; Patzke, G. R. Nat. Commun. 2018, 9, (1), 4009.
- Lignos, I.; Maceiczyk, R.; deMello, A. J. Acc. Chem. Res. 2017, 50, (5), 1248-1257.
- Mo, Y.; Jensen, K. F. React. Chem. Eng. 2016, 1, (5), 501-507.