(126a) Development of a Continuous Hydrogenation Process for Pharmaceuticals Using a Trickle Bed Reactor
AIChE Annual Meeting
Monday, November 11, 2019 - 12:30pm to 12:51pm
- Application of a laboratory scale trickle bed reactor for development and scale-up of a continuous hydrogenation process.
- Detailed description of catalyst packing procedures and startup of trickle bed reactors.
- Nitro to amine reduction for a pharmaceutical intermediate using a trickle bed reactor.
- The effect of operating parameters such as pressure, gas to liquid ratio, temperature catalyst loading and residence time of the substrate on product quality, is studied to develop a scalable and robust process.
- Development of a reactor scale kinetic model to predict conversion in the nitro-amine reduction group.
âFit for purposeâ model developed was very effective to efficiently identify optimal reaction conditions, assess risk to product CQAs, and increase overall robustness. The evaluation of these parameters led to a multi-faceted model capable of efficiently identifying optimal reaction conditions, assess risk to product quality attributes and increase robustness of the process.
All authors are employees of AbbVie and may own AbbVie stock. AbbVie sponsored and funded the study; contributed to the design; participated in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data, and in writing, reviewing, and approval of the final publication.