(544ch) Exploring the Effect of Chloride-Ion Exposure on CNx and Fe-N-C Catalysts for Application As Oxygen Depolarized Cathodes in Chlorine Production
The ORR electrocatalytic activity of FeNC catalysts was observed to reduce after exposure to chloride anions, while CNx catalysts showed an enhancement in ORR activity after chloride-ion exposure2. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), Raman and infrared spectroscopy, temperature programmed desorption (TPD) and near edge X-ray absorption fine structure measurements were used to shed light on the chlorine species incorporated in CNx that contribute to improved ORR activity6. FeNC catalysts, which exhibit irreversible poisoning in the presence of Cl- ions, were characterized using X-ray absorption spectroscopy to study the change in co-ordination environment of Fe centers after Cl- exposure. These observations further re-emphasize the difference in nature of ORR active sites in FeNC and CNx catalysts4.
- Federico, F.; Martelli, G.; Pinter, D. In Gas-diffusion electrodes for chlorine-related (production) technologies, Modern Chlor-Alkali Technology, Proceedings of the 2000 London International Chlorine Symposium Organized by SCIâs Electrochemical Technology Group, London, 2008; pp 114-127.
- Mamtani, K.; Jain, D.; Ozkan, U. S., Investigation of Chloride Poisoning Resistance for Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Nanostructures as Oxygen Depolarized Cathode Catalysts in Acidic Media. Catal. Lett. 2017, 1-7.
- Gullá, A. F.; Gancs, L.; Allen, R. J.; Mukerjee, S., Carbon-supported low-loading rhodium sulfide electrocatalysts for oxygen depolarized cathode applications. Appl. Catal. A-Gen. 2007, 326 (2), 227-235.
- Mamtani, K.; Ozkan, U. S., Heteroatom-doped carbon nanostructures as oxygen reduction reaction catalysts in acidic media: An overview". Catal. Lett. 2015, 145, 436-450.
- Lefevre, M.; Proietti, E.; Jaouen, F.; Dodelet, J. P., Iron-based catalysts with improved oxygen reduction activity in polymer electrolyte fuel cells. Science 2009, 324, 71-74.
- Jain, D.; Mamtani, K.; Gustin, V.; Gunduz, S.; Celik, G.; Waluyo, I.; Hunt, A.; Co, A. C.; Ozkan, U. S., Enhancement in Oxygen Reduction Reaction Activity of CNx in Acidic Media through Chloride-ion Exposure. ChemElectroChem 2018, Accepted.