(408j) Gas Capture by Ionic liquids
- Conference: AIChE Annual Meeting
- Year: 2018
- Proceeding: 2018 AIChE Annual Meeting
- Group: Topical Conference: Innovations of Green Process Engineering for Sustainable Energy and Environment
- Time: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 4:04pm-4:21pm
In this work, the mechanism of CO2/SO2 absorption in different kinds of ILs were systemically studied by molecular simulations. The microscopic structure, interaction energy and dynamic properties of the mixtures of ILs and CO2/SO2 were investigated. The results of interaction energy and fractional free volume of ILs showed that unlike non-polar gas CO2, the interaction energy of cation-anion and free volume do not play a dominant role in SO2 absorption. The solvation of SO2 in ILs is controlled by enthalpy. Both the cations and anions play an important role in SO2 solubility. Based on the above studies, a serial of ILs were synthesized for capturing CO2/SO2. Moreover, the energy and economic analysis of whole process of CO2 capture with ILs were simulated. It was found that the IL process saved about 15% regeneration heat energy consumption and 11.5% total capture cost compared to the MEA process.
This work was supported by the National Natural Scientific Fund of China 51674234.
- J. Zeng, H. S. Gao, X. C. Zhang, H. F. Dong, X. P. Zhang, S. J. Zhang, Chem. Eng. J, 2014, 251, 248-256.