(717a) Oral Formulations: Perspectives from Additive Manufacturing
- Conference: AIChE Annual Meeting
- Year: 2017
- Proceeding: 2017 Annual Meeting
- Group: Pharmaceutical Discovery, Development and Manufacturing Forum
- Time: Thursday, November 2, 2017 - 12:30pm-12:51pm
The manufacture of multiple capsule-based formulations using non-colloidal particulate suspensions is presented in this study. Particles selected from micronized and non-micronized powder grades are characterized in terms of particle size and bulk powder properties, which, in concert with rheology experiments are used to guide printing fluid formulations. Quantitative measures of product physical properties and respective production rates are presented for four active substances in 1-100 milligram amounts, delivered by hydro-philic/phobic carrier fluid platforms. Based on these results, perspectives are given on the ability of the platforms to complement current formulation selection strategies for BCS Class I and Class II drugs and on the potential for the technology serve at both the personalized medicine and industrial manufacturing scales.
- M. Kuentz, R. Holm, and D. P. Elder, 2016, Methodology of oral formulation selection in the pharmaceutical industry, European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 87, 136-163.
- M. Ierapetritou, F. Muzzio, and G. Reklaitis, 2016, Perspectives on the Continuous Manufacturing of Powder-Based Pharmaceutical Processes, AIChE Journal, 62, 1846-1862.
- H.D. Williams, N.L. Trevaskis, S.A. Charman, R.M. Shanker, W.N. Charman, C.W. Pouton, and C.J.H. Porter, 2013, Strategies to Address Low Drug Solubility in Discovery and Development, Pharmacoligical Reviews, 65, 315-499.
- R. Daly, T.S. Harrington, G.D. Martin, and I.M. Hutchings, 2015, Inkjet printing for pharmaceutics â A review of research and manufacturing, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 494, 554-567.
- L. Hirshfield, A. Giridhar, L.S. Taylor, M.T. Harris, and G.V. Reklaitis, 2014, Dropwise Additive Manufacturing of Pharmaceutical Products for Solvent-Based Dosage Forms, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 103, 496-506.
- E. IÃ§ten, A. Giridhar, L.S. Taylor, Z.K. Nagy, and G.V. Reklaitis, 2015, Dropwise Additive Manufacturing of Pharmaceutical Products for Melt-Based Dosage Forms, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 104, 1641-1649.
- J. Pardeike, D.M. Strohmeier, N. Schrödl, C. Voura, M. Gruber, J.G. Khinast, and A. Zimmer, Nanosuspensions as advanced printing ink for accurate dosing of poorly soluble drugs in personalized medicines, 2011, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 420, 93-100.