(715c) Tunable Mixed Metal Oxides for Selective Hydrogenation and Ring-Opening of Furfuryl Alcohol
The work presented demonstrates the versatility of mixed metal oxides (MMO) derived from layered double hydroxides (LDH) to conduct furanic chemistry after undergoing a reduction pretreatment. By either doping small amounts of Fe or Cu into a Co-Al oxide matrix improvements towards selectivity and activity are observed for side chain hydrogenolysis and ring-opening, respectively. The resulting multi-metal catalysts can achieve yields of 82% towards 2-MF (Co-Fe-Al)  and 42% towards 1,5-PD (Cu-Co-Al) under optimizing conditions, which is comparable or better than prior catalysts with similar mechanisms. To better understand the electronic environment, various spectroscopic experiments were used to develop a model of how each oxide species was changed under reducing conditions.
This work provides a comprehensive account of the versatility of non-precious metal MMO catalysts for biomass conversion. By tuning the metal addition, various chemistries can be targeted in furanic conversion.
1. Sitthisa, S., An, W., and Resasco, D.E., J. Catal.284, 90 (2011).
2. Lee, W.-S., Wang, Z., Zheng, W., Vlachos, D. G., and Bhan, A., Catal. Sci. Technol. 4, 2340 (2014).
3. Sulmonetti, T. P., Pang, S. H., Claure, M. T., Lee, S., Cullen, D.A., Agrawal, P. K., and Jones, C. W., Appl. Catal., A 517, 187 (2016).
4. Koso, S., Furikado, I., Shimao, A., Miyazawa, T., Kunimori, K., and Tomishige, K. Chem. Commun. 2035 (2009).
5. Xu, W., Wang, H., Liu, X., Ren, J., Wang, Y., and Lu, G. Chem. Commun.47, 3924 (2011).
6. Sulmonetti, T. P., Hu, B., Ifkovits Z., Lee, S., Agrawal, P. K., and Jones, C. W., ChemCatChem (2017) Accepted.