(52b) Mechanistic Studies of Selective Hydrogenation Reactions with Palladium Gold Alloy Catalysts
- Conference: AIChE Annual Meeting
- Year: 2017
- Proceeding: 2017 Annual Meeting
- Group: Catalysis and Reaction Engineering Division
- Time: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 8:40am-9:00am
We have investigated the selective hydrogenation of 1-hexyne over PdAu alloys with different Pd ensembles, namely single atoms, clusters and nanoparticles. The surface structures of Pd species were studied by ATR-IR of chemisorbed CO. Kinetics studies indicate the hydrogenation reaction pathway and rate limiting step on PdAu SAA is same as that of Au nanoparticles. In situ ATR-IR tests were run to follow the evolution of the reactants and intermediates over the course of the hydrogenation reaction. The structure/ function relationships of different Pd ensembles in hydrogenation reactions were elucidated with these studies. The reactivity and characterization of the PdAu alloy nanoparticles with ATR-IR, STEM and XAS will be presented.
Acknowledgments: This work was supported as part of the Integrated Mesoscale Architectures for Sustainable Catalysis, an Energy Frontier Research Center funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Basic Energy Sciences, under award #DESC0012573.
- M. B. Boucher, B. Zugic, G. Cladaras, J. Kammert, M. D. Marcinkowski, T. J. Lawton, E. C. H. Sykes and M. Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2013, 15, 12187â12196.
- J. Liu,J. Shan, Felicia R. Lucci, S. Cao, E. C. H. Sykes, M. Flytzani-Stephanopoulos, 2017, In Submission.