(410b) Flame Synthesis of Highly Transparent and Robust Nano-Layers for Enhanced Photo-Electrochemical Water Splitting
- Conference: AIChE Annual Meeting
- Year: 2016
- Proceeding: 2016 AIChE Annual Meeting
- Group: Nanomaterials for Applications in Energy and Biology
- Time: Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 3:34pm-3:53pm
Here, we report the engineering of robust high performance photo-electrodes with tunable porosity and composition. We discuss the critical parameters controlling the self-assembly of these nanoparticle layers and present a flexible approach for their mechanical and chemical stabilization. We apply this concept to the fabrication of photo- and electrochemical cells for water splitting demonstrating very high turn-over frequencies, controllable light absorption and efficient electron collection. We envision that this scalable synthesis approach can be readily implemented for the commercial production of low-cost devices for chemical energy storage and renewable fuel production.
1. Nasiri, N.; Bo, R.; Wang, F.; Fu, L.; Tricoli, A. Adv. Mater. 2015,27, (29), 4336-4343.
2. Tricoli, A.; Graf, M.; Mayer, F.; Kühne, S.; Hierlemann, A.; Pratsinis, S. E. Adv. Mater. 2008,20, (16), 3005-3010.
3. Tricoli, A.; Wallerand, A. S.; Righettoni, M. J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, (28), 14254-14261.