(289e) Large-Size Graphene Tube Catalysts for Bifuncational Oxygen Reduction and Oxygen Evolution Electrocatalysis in Alkaline Media
Furthermore, aiming to improve the activity and stability of the state-of-the-art Pt catalysts, the ORR active GT is used as a matrix to disperse Pt nanoparticles in order to build a unique hybrid Pt cathode catalyst. This is the first demonstration of the integration of a nonprecious metal catalyst with Pt catalyst in a nanocomposite. Relative to traditional Pt/C catalyst, much improved activity and stability were achieved. This work provides a new hybrid concept to design and synthesis novel cathode catalysts for fuel cells.
Apart from dramatically enhanced ORR activity, the large-size graphene tubes demonstrated excellent OER activity comparable to state-of-the-art Ir black in alkaline media. Importantly, unlike traditional carbon blacks and 2D reduced graphene oxides, the graphene tubes can be remain stable in harsh electrochemical environments (potentials up to 1.9 V) in alkaline media. This provide a great opportunity to develop bifunctional oxygen catalysts for reversible electrochemical energy applications such as reversible alkaline media and metal-air batteries.
- G. Wu, K.L. More, C.M. Johnston, P. Zelenay, Science, 332, 443, 2011.
- G. Wu, P. Zelenay, Acc. Chem. Res., 46, 1878, 2013.
- G. Wu, N.H. Mack, W. Gao, S. Ma, J. Han, J.K. Baldwin, P. Zelenay. ACS Nano. 6, 9764, 2012.
- Q. Li, P. Xu, W. Gao, S. Ma, R. Cao, J. Cho, H.L. Wang, G Wu, Adv. Mater., 26, 1378,2014.
- Q Li, H Pan, D Higgins, R Cao, G Zhang, H Lv, K Wu, J Cho, G Wu, Small 11, 1443, 2015.
- Q. Li, R. Cao, J. Cho, G. Wu, Adv. Energy Mater., 4, 1301415,2014.
- X Wang, Q Li, H Pan, Y Lin, Y Ke, H Sheng, MT Swihart, G Wu, Nanoscale 7, 20290, 2015.