June EdDiv Announcements
- Call for Nominations: 2020 EdDiv Awards
- Call for Participation: EdDiv Virtual Communities of Practice
- Future Faculty Mentoring Program: Call for Mentors
- AIChE Revises Statement on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Summer School Rescheduled
- Instructions for submitting EdDiv announcements
1. CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: 2020 ED-DIV AWARDS
Please nominate a colleague for the 2020 AIChE Education Division awards. All three awards have a completed nomination deadline of June 30, 2020.
- Award for Service to Chemical Engineering Education: Recognizes an individual who has shown dedication and broad service to chemical engineering teaching and learning, especially in Chemical Engineering professional societies. Preference will be given to individuals within 25 years of completion of the highest degree. https://www.aiche.org/community/awards/award-service-chemical-engineering-education
- Award for Innovation in Chemical Engineering Education: Recognizes an individual who has created and/or implemented a pedagogical innovation into a course that has made a significant and documented positive impact on teaching effectiveness and student learning. https://www.aiche.org/community/awards/award-innovation-chemical-engineering-education
- Award for Excellence in Engineering Education Research: Recognizes an individual for outstanding research in education, with a focus on chemical engineering pedagogy, encompassing methods, applications, and assessment. https://www.aiche.org/community/awards/award-excellence-engineering-education-research
Questions and nominations should be addressed to the awards committee Chair, Matt Liberatore.
Education Division Awards Committee 2020: Monica Lamm, Matt Liberatore, Don Visco, Christy Wheeler West
2. CALL FOR PARTICIPATION: ED-DIV VIRTUAL COMMUNITIES OF PRACTICE
To support faculty during the remote instruction transition and related uncertainties, dozens of Chemical Engineering faculty created 5 virtual communities of practice (VCPs) during the past few months. While some groups are on hiatus during the summer, the group focusing on lab courses is still meeting weekly.
The themes of the VCPs are:
- Material and Energy Balances + Thermodynamics
- Transport phenomena + Separations
- Reaction engineering + Control
Each VCP has collected resources, e.g., slides, links, etc., that may help with your future courses. If you have ideas, want to participate or lead future meetings, or would like more information, please contact AIChE Education Division officers Matt Liberatore (mailto:email@example.com) and/or Daniel Lepek (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
3. FUTURE FACULTY MENTORING PROGRAM: CALL FOR MENTORS
The Future Faculty Mentoring Program is seeking experienced Chemical Engineering faculty (tenure track and teaching/continuing track) to take part in a year-long mentoring program for prospective faculty, and we need YOU!
Take this opportunity to mentor a senior graduate student or post-doc who is seeking a chemical engineering faculty position. Help them navigate the application process, the interview, the offer, the negotiation, the start-up package, and provide advice on their research and teaching ideas. Are there things you wish you had known when going through the process? Then this is your chance to impart that wisdom to the next up-and-coming generation of ChemE faculty!
For more information and to apply to be a mentor, please visit the Ed Div website at:
https://www.aiche.org/community/sites/divisions-forums/education-division/future-faculty-programs. Application Deadline is Friday September 4, 2020!
We always are mentor-limited (especially for female faculty), and have many more mentee applicants than we can serve - so if you can’t participate this year, please consider forwarding this on to other colleagues that you think would be great mentors!
For any questions regarding the program, please contact Daniel Burkey at email@example.com.
4. AICHE REVISES STATEMENT ON EQUITY, DIVERSITY, & INCLUSION
In March 2020, AIChE released a new statement on equity, diversity, and inclusion — designed to foster environments where all chemical engineers are able to pursue and attain success and contribute to their fullest potential. The statement is the result of an Institute-wide discussion that incorporated views from members of AIChE’s operating councils and the Board of Directors, and replaces an earlier statement issued in 2015.
The statement articulates AIChE’s commitment to promoting equity across the chemical engineering community and workforce. The heart of the statement reads:
Solutions to 21st century problems require innovation and creativity. These are accelerated through diverse teams and by ensuring that spaces are inclusive. AIChE is committed to nurturing an inclusive, respectful and welcoming environment where people of all backgrounds and identities are valued and respected and can achieve their full potential, regardless of: (i) race, ethnicity, or national origin; (ii) religious or spiritual practice, or lack thereof; (iii) sex, gender identity and expression, or sexual orientation; (iv) family or relationship structure; (v) any type of disability or perceived disability, past or present; (vi) age; (vii) any ascribed status or visible or invisible difference.
The complete statement is posted online at https://www.aiche.org/equity-diversity-inclusion/statement
AIChE is calling upon all of its members and constituents to abide by the statement as a fundamental operating principle for all of their endeavors — within and outside of their AIChE roles and activities.
5. SUMMER SCHOOL RESCHEDULED
The ASEE/AIChE Chemical Engineering Summer School has been rescheduled to July 24-29, 2022 at Colorado School of Mines. Look out for more info in the coming months!
6. FOLLOW ED-DIV ON TWITTER
For teaching tips, ideas for class, or to learn more about future EdDiv initiatives, please follow us on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/aicheeddiv (@aicheeddiv)
7. SUBMITTING ED-DIV ANNOUNCEMENTS
To submit an EdDiv announcement, please prepare a maximum of a 2-3 paragraph description including any relevant URLs and contact information as well as a subject line. Do not include any attachments. Email this information to Katie Cadwell <firstname.lastname@example.org> with the email heading “For EdDiv Announcements.” Announcements will be sent out near the beginning of each month. Each announcement will be included once, unless otherwise requested. Announcements will also be recorded on the Division website: http://www.aiche.org/community/sites/divisions-forums/education-division .