- Course ID: CH766VTL
- Type: Instructor-led Virtual Course
- Language: English
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Duration: 1 day
- CEUs: 0.75
- PDHs: 7.50
- Accrediting Agencies:
Even though you’re familiar with Excel and have some background in computer programming, chances are you’re only scratching the surface when it comes to mastering new capabilities. Join David Clough in this hands-on course to learn new skills that will enable you to streamline your Excel spreadsheets and save valuable time—even if you have no knowledge of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming.
The hands-on, fast way to boost your productivity
In one day, you’ll learn how to save valuable time when developing macros and program user-defined functions to package typical chemical engineering calculations. You’ll develop new confidence in your ability to manage and move information between the spreadsheet and VBA environments. You’ll become skilled at designing and implementing user interfaces, including user forms. Through illustrations, you’ll even see how to use VBA to communicate between Excel and other software applications, such as process simulators. By the end of the course, you’ll be familiar with the VBA programming environment and language and be equipped with the tools to develop VBA applications that address your unique needs as a chemical engineer.
Getting Started with VBA
- Configuring Excel for VBA programming
- The Visual Basic Editor environment
- Recording and editing macros
- Debugging in the Visual Basic Editor
- Programming user-defined functions (UDFs)
- Including programming structure in UDFs
- Borrowing Excel spreadsheet-based functions
- Developing array functions
- Packaging collections of functions in an Excel add-in
Delving into VBA Programming
- Communicating with the spreadsheet
- Object-oriented concepts
- Data types and scope
- VBA programming structures
- Modular organization of VBA programs
User Interfaces and VBA Applications
- Message boxes, input boxes and on-sheet buttons
- Programming event handlers
- Designing and creating userforms
- Integrating course concepts into an Excel VBA application
- Interfacing with external programs
Mac users please note: A good portion of the course covers Excel VBA ‘userforms’ which are not currently functional in Excel for Macs. Please take the course on a PC.
Save $795 or more when you take both this course and CH764VTL: Spreadsheet Problem-Solving for Chemical Engineers by registering for CH768VTL Spreadsheet Problem Solving and VBA Programming Combo Course.
Dr. David Clough has taught applied statistics at the undergraduate and graduate levels to chemical engineering students for the past 20 years. At the graduate level, his students have included practicing professionals.
Dr. Clough recently retired after a 43-year career on the faculty of Chemical and Biological Engineering at the University of Colorado’s Boulder Campus. He is still active in the Department in the Emeritus role, including the supervision of research in applied process control. He teaches several AIChE Academy courses, both in-person and eLearning...Read more
Teams (10 or more)
Minimize cost and maximize learning with Train-A-Team.Learn more
|AIChE Grad Student Members||$547.50|
|AIChE Undergrad Student Members||$547.50|