(13b) Electrocatalyst Development for Electrochemical Oxidative Dehydrogenation of Ethane
Perovskite electrocatalysts were synthesized within a porous yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) scaffold via infiltration, serving as the e-ODH anode of a solid electrolyte fuel cell using lanthanum strontium manganite (LSM20) as an oxygen reducing cathode electrocatalyst. The infiltrated anode electrocatalysts were characterized with scanning electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction. The ethane oxidation is catalyzed on the porous scaffold anode while the oxygen reduction occurs on the cathode, following the reaction chemistry shown below.
Anode: C2H6 + O2- â C2H4 + H2O + 2e-
Cathode: 1/2O2 + 2e- â O2-
Overall ODH: C2H6 + 1/2O2 â C2H4 + H2O
The infiltrated electrocatalystsâ e-ODH capabilities were evaluated through electrochemical testing of the solid oxide fuel cell and quantitative gas chromatography analysis of the product gases under galvanostatic conditions.
This work has demonstrated the suitability of the electrocatalyst synthesis techniques and the favorability for ethylene selectivity over certain electrocatalyst compositions that will be presented in this talk. More broadly, this project has elucidated the influence of catalyst material upon ethane e-ODH chemistry and showed potential feasibility for incorporation into the modular design. In this talk electrocatalyst material characterization and fuel cell test results will be presented.
- MacIntyre, S. U.S. Energy Information Administration: U.S. ethane production, consumption, and exports expected to increase through 2018, posted January 17, 2017. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=29572 (accessed October 31, 2020).
- U.S. Energy Information Administration: What are natural gas liquids and how are they used?, posted April 20, 2012. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=5930 (accessed April 9, 2021).
- Miller, T.; Beck, D. Gas Processing & LNG: Maximize propane recovery and ethane rejection at cryogenic gas plants. http://gasprocessingnews.com/features/201612/maximize-propane-recovery-a... (accessed October 31, 2020).
- Daramola, D.A.; Velraj, S.; Trembly, J. Electrochemical Oxidative Dehydration (e-ODH) As a Process Intensification Platform in Shale Gas Upgrading. In 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting; Orlando, FL, November 10-15, 2019.
- Kasick, A.; Hajer, A.A.; Daramola, D.A.; Velraj, S.; Trembly, J. Advances in the Use of Electrochemical Oxidative Dehydrogenation to Convert Natural Gas Liquids to Value Added Chemicals. In 2020 AIChE Annual Meeting; San Francisco, CA, November 16-20, 2020.