The Nova Chemicals Site located in Joffre, AB Canada has numerous gas-cracking olefins units as well as down-stream polyolefins processing plants. Nova has been utilizing Operator Training Simulators at this site for over 12 years as part of a comprehensive training and certification program for its control room operators. This paper reviews how the simulators have been used as part of this program. In addition, it describes other ways that the simulators have contributed to the overall benefit of the petrochemical complex. The topics to be discussed are:
- Current simulator models within Nova, history, and future development.
- Training structure of simulator training.
- Benefits of the simulator to the original startup of the E-3 Olefins unit.
- Flaring reductions during startups and shutdowns of the Ethylene plants.
- Development of trip applications for the Ethylene plants.
- Simulator use for development of Polyethylene (Sclair technology) startup advanced control.
- Additional simulator uses, including:
- Experimental Operations
- Testing of DCS software upgrades
- Development of advanced applications
- Graphics development.
Would you like to access this content?
No problem. You just have to complete the following steps.
You have completed 0 of 2 steps.
You must be logged in to view this content. Log in now.
Purchase Technical Presentation
You must purchase this technical presentation using one of the options below.
If you already purchased this content recently, please click here to refresh the system's record of ownerships.
|Credits||0.5 Use credits|
|List Price||$25.00 Buy now|
|AIChE Members||$15.00 Buy now|
|AIChE Undergraduate Student Members||Free Free access|
|AIChE Graduate Student Members||$15.00 Buy now|