Dr. Blackwood is recognized as a world-class expert in solids processing and air pollution controls and has served as an internal corporate consultant for over 30 years. He has been instrumental in process definition, technology development, front-end engineering, detailed design, and start-up. He has a unique ability for dealing with problems in process design, troubleshooting of operations, and development of innovative solutions to technological problems. His recommendations are novel, as well as cost-effective, and deal directly with the basic problems involved. Because of his recognized authority in these areas, he is frequently asked to present technical seminars at national and international symposia.
During the past 45 years, Dr. Blackwood made significant contributions to the Monsanto, Solutia and Envirotech Corporations through numerous assignments. In the interest of productivity and cost conservation, clients are given enough documentation and explanation so they may solve future problems on their own. Although most of his work is disseminated in these companies, he has published widely in the open literature. He regularly provides reviews of air pollution control technology for the Air and Waste Management Association.
He has served as an associate professor in the School of Public Health at St. Louis University and an assistant professor at Southern Illinois University. He taught air pollution fundamentals, environmental health and air pollution control over a 20 year period of time.
A quick summary of his qualifications are:
- Over 45 years experience in engineering process control and design, solids processing, and air pollution control
- Principal expert in solids processing and air pollution control, including drying (contact and dispersive), crystallization (batch and continuous), solids-liquid separation, blending, pneumatic conveying, filtration, and material flowability
- Novel solutions developed for complex problems using his diverse knowledge of a wide variety of technology and industries, especially in fluid-particle systems
- Extensive experience in presentation of research and engineering design to industrial, scientific and academic setting audiences
- Experienced in organization of seminars, conferences, and technical training programs
- Over 90 external publications and many internal design guides
He has been active in several technical organizations:
- Section Chair, Air and Waste Management Association (A&WMA), 2001-2002
- Section Chair, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), 2003-2004
- Technical Program Chair A&WMA annual national meeting, 1999
- Crystallization Division Chair, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2001-2003
- Program Chair and Session organizer for ACT, AIChE, and A&WMA, many years
- Technical advisor to Separations Process Service in the United Kingdom
- Past Technical Advisor to the Texas Drying Research Consortium
- Past Chairman Fugitive Emissions Committee‑A&WMA
- Webmaster for the St. Louis section of AIChE
More details of Dr. Blackwood's career can be found at http://www.healthsiteassociates.net