Joseph A. Yurko, PE
A Chemical Engineer working as a project manager and project engineer on design and build capital projects. Well organized with attention to detail leading cross functional teams on new installations or upgrades of equipment or systems. Capital projects were completed on time and under budget with satisfied stakeholders. Engineering experience in pharmaceutical, chemical, automotive, and semiconductor industries. Mentor and coach to entry level engineers and students from CSU and CWRU.
Boehringer Ingelheim, Ben Venue Laboratories, Inc., Bedford, OH, FDA cGMP compliant, www.benvenue.com, in top 20 pharmaceutical companies globally with annual revenues of $17B
Senior Project Engineer, Process & Facilities Engineering Department, 2002 – 2013
Managed capital projects performing process engineering design, specification, procurement, construction, commissioning, and training. Projects were production, utility, environmental, health, or safety oriented. Reviewed and approved contractor time sheets, calculations, drawings, and regulatory documents. Projects were implemented at a 4 factory and a pilot plant campus. Projects followed the TrackWise (Corrective Action / Preventive Action, CAPA) change management system.
- Generated specifications, procured equipment, approved construction drawings, and commissioned systems for Phase V new facility with 3 formulation rooms, 3 sterile fill vial lines, 8 freeze dryers, equipment prep, component prep, steam and condensate, compressed air, nitrogen, WFI & clean steam generation, HVAC systems, and utilities. (226k sq.ft, $200M TIC)
- Designed, procured, constructed, and commissioned Silver LEED pilot plant for R&D on schedule and under budget. Facility had HVAC Grade C HEPA air on 2 compounding suites with ASME jacketed pressure vessels, sterile fill suite with vial filler, freeze dryer suite, and cleaning suite. Followed 5S+safety process layout. (10k sq.ft, $2M TIC)
- Subject Matter Expert for internal and external audits by FDA (USA), EMA (Europe), TPA (Australia), PMDA (Japan), and ANVISA (Brazil) agencies from global marketplace of drug distribution. No agency observations were made on formulation vessels, TCU, or nitrogen system.
- Designed 2 new VFD air compressor systems for 4 factories and pilot plant that saved 8% energy with lead-lag control modifications with 4 existing constant speed air compressors. Added remote monitoring with alarms, and improved stable pressure set point over former system. ($1M project).
- Developed, installed, and validated 2 new liquid cryogenic nitrogen storage vessels with vaporization and gas distribution systems for 4 factories and pilot plant to double sterile injectable vial filling capacity of chemotherapy parenteral drugs. Lead facilitator on cross functional team FMEA of systems. ($2M TIC)
- Specified ASME BPVC / BPE jacketed agitated pressure vessels (50 – 500 gallon volumes) and mixers needed for pharmaceutical compounding of a drug in short supply to a global market. Generated appropriations funding, procured, and validated vessels to safely restore drug manufacturing and distribution back to global marketplace. ($1M project). BI Excellence Award.
- Compiled plant consumption of city water, electrical power, and natural gas for Sustainable Use of Energy. Annual report presented Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH. Developed energy reduction projects to reduce pounds of carbon dioxide generated during year. Based on 2010 benchmark, need 20% reduction by 2020.
- Designed, installed, and commissioned a cold and hot water and energy recovery system for 3 factories with SOP and training. The systems saved $95k annually in water consumption, waste water, heating, and chemical treatment. ($200k TIC) Received EPA/Ohio Governors Award 2008.
URS Corporation, Cleveland, OH, ISO9000, www.urs.com,
Ranked 248 in Fortune 500, annual revenues of $11B
Supervisory Process Engineer, Process Engineering Department, 1981 – 2002
Supervisor on engineering design projects leading architectural, automation, CAD, civil, structural, electrical, mechanical piping, process engineers and technicians. Reviewed and approved drawings, calculations, time sheets and annual performance reviews of project direct reports. Developed process flow diagrams with material and energy balances. Generated piping and instrumentation diagrams with control loops and equipment specifications. Mentor to entry level engineers and students from U. of Akron.
- Developed Siemens Simatic Batch Process Control System (PCS7) in St. Louis, MO to replace Allen Bradley system for application in the Anheuser Busch brewing, fermentation, and CIP process additions that were also designed, constructed, and commissioned. Performed successful startups and training at Columbus, OH and Fort Collins, CO breweries. ($120M TIC each)
- Lead process design engineer developing PFDs and P&IDs with scale model walk-thru for AdiPure Adipic Acid reactor decantation process for Nylon production. Performed system Process Hazard Analysis. Facility located in Singapore, DuPont, Wilmington, DE. ($150M TIC)
- Managed 17 multidiscipline engineers and technicians on chlorosilane distillation automated unit during detailed engineering design and construction for Hemlock Semiconductor, Midland, MI. ($200M TIC) Received URS/HSC Engineering Excellence Award
- Designed 11 tank chemical treatment process for Boeing Wing and Spar facility in Frederickson, WA for electrocoat processing 110 foot long aluminum wing spar required for Boeing 747 aircraft. Issued design drawings and calculations ahead of schedule. ($105M new factory)
- Supervised 2 process engineers and 2 piping designers on Ford Motor Company cooling tower water process for body panel weld tip cooling systems significantly saving weld tip wear, replacement, and electrical power consumption.
EDUCATION: Cleveland State University, Fenn College of Engineering, BS Chemical Engineering and BS Engineering Science (Bioengineering)
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), USGBC, Green Associate in progress
Certificate in Project Management, Kent State University, Center for Professional Development , 2011
Licensed Professional Engineer (Chemical), Texas Board of Registered Engineers, CPD: 15 hr/yr
COMPUTER SKILLS: Microsoft Windows Office, MS Project, ChemCAD, MathCAD, Crane Companion, Intelligen Superpro Designer, Advanced Maintenance Management System, TrackWise (change management), Siemens Apogee Building Automation System (BAS), Siemens Simatic Batch Process Control Systems (PCS7).
MANAGEMENT SKILLS: Quality Work Groups, Team Building and Coaching, Crucial Conversations, 5 Why’s, FMEA Facilitator, 5S+Safety, W. Edwards Deming 14 Points, Dale Carnegie Communication, and AIChE Fellow, AIChE Cleveland Section Chairman 2003-2010, Boy Scouts of America Asst. Scoutmaster.
CODES AND STANDARDS: Partial List includes but is not limited to: Ohio Building Code; FDA CFRs, LEED Standards, ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, Division 1; ASME BioProcess Equipment Standard; NFPA Codes, National Electric Code; EPA Codes (air and water); OSHA Standards.
ASSOCIATIONS: American Institute of Chemical Engineers, AIChE Fellow, Cleveland Section Past Chair, Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer; American Chemical Society, NCW Speaker; National Society of Professional Engineers, NEW Speaker; CSU Industrial Advisory Board Member; and ISPE Member.